Finding Function M: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter N468989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the problem involves implicit differentiation to find the function M. The steps for finding M include differentiating the given equation, using the chain rule, and solving for dy/dx. Once dy/dx is found, it can be substituted into the equation to solve for M. It is important to understand implicit differentiation and use parentheses to make the equation clearer.
N468989

Homework Statement

knowing that -9x^2 - 6y^3 = -10 => [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{M(x)}{18y^2}[/tex],

determine function M.

i would like to know how i can find M, I am not sure where to start

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiate the equation on the left with respect to x. Then solve for dy/dx.

the equation on the left gives me -18x, what does the left one help me with getting M?

d/dx(y)=dy/dx, not zero. Use the chain rule to find d/dx(6*y^3).

i don´t understand very well...is there a way i can put it in mathematica 6 to just get the solution?

Last edited:
This isn't difficult. You should be thinking of y as y(x), a function of x. E.g. d/dx(y(x)^2)=2*y(x)*dy(x)/dx. The dy/dx comes from the chain rule. If you want to try to find this in a textbook, look up 'implicit differentiation'.

i got dy/dx = -x/y^2...now how can i apply to get M? sry for dumb questions :S

The solution is the following
[tex]-9x^{2}-6y^{3}=-10\Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]-9x^{2}=6y^{3}-10\Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]d(-9x^{2})=d(6y^{3}-10)\Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]-18xdx=18y^{2}dy[/tex] since [tex]d(-10)=0[/tex] the derivative of a constant is 0

[tex]\frac{-18xdx}{dx}=18y^{2}\frac{dy}{dx}\Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]-18x=18y^{2}\frac{dy}{dx}\Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{-18x}{18y^{2}}\Rightarrow[/tex]
Since we know that
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{M(x)}{18y^{2}}\Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]M(x)=-18x[/tex]

You should have known the solution though, was pretty easy, my suggestion is to read more about implicit differentiation since many times can solve problems where other ways fail.

Good! Multiply by 1=18/18. So your answer could also be written -18x/(18*y^2).

mlazos said:
The solution is the following
[tex]-9x^{2}-6y^{3}=-10\Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]-9x^{2}=6y^{3}-10\Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]d(-9x^{2})=d(6y^{3}-10)\Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]-18xdx=18y^{2}dy[/tex] since [tex]d(-10)=0[/tex] the derivative of a constant is 0

[tex]\frac{-18xdx}{dx}=18y^{2}\frac{dy}{dx}\Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]-18x=18y^{2}\frac{dy}{dx}\Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{-18x}{18y^{2}}\Rightarrow[/tex]
Since we know that
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{M(x)}{18y^{2}}\Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]M(x)=-18x[/tex]

You should have known the solution though, was pretty easy, my suggestion is to read more about implicit differentiation since many times can solve problems where other ways fail.

Do not solve complete problems for posters. That's against forum rules. Help them to solve it themselves.

sorry won't happen again, i tried to help because she was little lost

what helped me most was the term 'implicit differentiation', i made a quick search and found some good examples...thanks for the help...he

i have another one which is -7y*e^10xy = 5 => M(y) / 1 + 10xy, i did the dy/dx to resolve it and i get -70*y^2* e^10xy. where do i get M(y)

Do you mean -7ye^(10xy)= 5 and dy/dx= M(y)/(1+ 10xy)? Please use parentheses to make it clearer.
No, the derivative is NOT -70y^2 e^(10xy). In fact, your dy/dx should not have a "e^(10xy) in it! How about showing exactly what you did?

[tex]-7\,y{e^{10\,{\it xy}}}=5[/tex] ==> [tex]{\frac {{\it dx}}{{\it dy}}}={\frac {M \left( y \right) }{1+10\,{\it
xy}}}
[/tex]

i did [tex]{\frac {d \left( -7\,{{\it ye}}^{10\,{\it xy}} \right) }{{\it dy}}}={
\frac {d \left( 5 \right) }{{\it dy}}}
[/tex]

is it wrong way ?

Last edited:

1. What is "Finding Function M" about?

"Finding Function M" is a step-by-step guide that helps individuals identify and understand the function of a particular gene, known as Function M. It provides a comprehensive approach to studying this gene and its role in various biological processes.

2. Who can benefit from using this guide?

This guide is designed for scientists, researchers, and students who are interested in studying and understanding the function of Function M. It can also be helpful for individuals working in biotechnology, genetics, and related fields.

3. What makes this guide different from other resources on Function M?

This guide provides a systematic and practical approach to studying Function M, which can be applied to any gene or biological process. It also includes a variety of resources and tools, such as experimental protocols and data analysis techniques, to assist with the study of this gene.

4. Can this guide be used for genes other than Function M?

Yes, the step-by-step approach outlined in this guide can be applied to studying any gene of interest. However, the specific resources and tools provided may be tailored towards understanding Function M.

5. How can I access "Finding Function M"?

This guide can be accessed through various online platforms, such as scientific databases, academic websites, and e-book retailers. It may also be available in print form through certain publishers or libraries.