Vector Magnitude C: Calculating Magnitude

In summary, two vectors A and B are given by A = 4i + 8j and B = 6i – 2j. The scalar product of A and a third vector C is –16, and the scalar product of B and C is +18. The z component of C is 0. Using the definition of scalar product, we can set up two equations and solve for the magnitude of vector C. The solution is 3.6.
jack1234
I am not sure how to do the following question(Attempts all failed):
Two vectors A and B are given by A = 4i + 8j and B = 6i – 2j. The scalar product of A and a third vector C is –16. The scalar product of B and C is +18. The z component of C is 0. What is the magnitude of C?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, we know that A = <4, 8>, and B = < 6, -2>. If we dot A with a vector C and use the definition of the scalar product, we have:

[tex] A_xC_x + A_yC_y = -16 [/tex]

Doing the same for B we have:

[tex] B_xC_x + B_yC_y = 18 [/tex]

Now we have two equations and two unknowns. Does this help?

Thanks a lot:) This is really far more simple than what I am thinking of !
The answer is 3.6.

1. What is vector magnitude?

Vector magnitude is a measurement of the length or size of a vector. It is represented by a scalar quantity, meaning it only has a magnitude and no direction.

2. How do you calculate vector magnitude?

To calculate vector magnitude, you use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude (M) of a vector (V) can be found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components (Vx and Vy): M = √(Vx² + Vy²).

3. What is the difference between vector magnitude and vector direction?

Vector magnitude is a measurement of the length or size of a vector, while vector direction is the angle at which the vector is pointing. Both are needed to fully describe a vector.

4. Can vector magnitude be negative?

No, vector magnitude is always positive. It represents the distance or length of the vector, and distance cannot be negative.

5. Why is vector magnitude important in physics and engineering?

Vector magnitude is important because it helps us understand the physical quantities of objects and how they interact with each other. It is used to calculate forces, velocity, acceleration, and other important measurements in physics and engineering.