Converging vs Diverging Series: Understanding the Root Test

• Thread starter frasifrasi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses two series and how to determine if they converge or diverge. The first series is the sum of (-1)^(n+1) * n / sqrt(n^(2)+2) and the second series is the sum of (-1)^(n+1)/(2)^(1/n). The conversation explains how to use the root test and the alternating series test to determine convergence, and ultimately concludes that both series diverge.
frasifrasi
URGENT - Please help - easy series

How can I show that the series from 1 to infinity of

(-1)^(n+1) * n / sqrt(n^(2)+2) diverges instead of converging abs/conditionally?

Also, for the series from 1 to infinity of:

(-1)^(n+1)/(2)^(1/n)

I applied the root test and came out with:

lim n --> infinity of 1^n/2 = 1/2

yet, the answer key says the series diverges...can anyone explain this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The nth term of either of those series doesn't even converge to zero.

try the alternating series test.

Dick said:
The nth term of either of those series doesn't even converge to zero.

if you just try to simplify and do the limits the denomintor goes to 1 and the top alternates from -1 to 1 and back and forth.

Antineutron said:
if you just try to simplify and do the limits the denomintor goes to 1 and the top alternates from -1 to 1 and back and forth.

Well, yeah. Isn't that what I said?

I see, the limit of 1/(2)^1/n goes to 1, so it fails to go to 0 and hence diverges.

and the first can be simplified to n/n = 1, which doesn't go to 0, so it diverges...

Is it that simple?

It is that simple. When are applying a test like the alternating series test, make sure that ALL of the premises apply. Of course, just because a test doesn't apply, doesn't make the series diverge. But any series that for large n looks like +1,-1,+1,-1... does not converge.

Last edited:

1. What is the "- Please help - easy series"?

The "- Please help - easy series" is a collection of articles, tutorials, or videos that are aimed at providing easy-to-understand explanations and solutions to common problems or questions.

2. Who can benefit from the "- Please help - easy series"?

Anyone who is looking for simple and straightforward answers to their questions in a specific topic can benefit from the "- Please help - easy series". It is particularly helpful for beginners or those who have limited knowledge in the subject.

3. How is the content in the "- Please help - easy series" created?

The content in the "- Please help - easy series" is created by experts in the field who have a deep understanding of the subject matter. They use their expertise to break down complex concepts into easy-to-digest information for the audience.

4. Are the solutions provided in the "- Please help - easy series" reliable?

Yes, the solutions provided in the "- Please help - easy series" are reliable. The content is thoroughly researched and reviewed by experts to ensure accuracy and effectiveness.

5. Can I request a topic to be covered in the "- Please help - easy series"?

Yes, you can suggest a topic for the "- Please help - easy series". However, the final decision on which topics to cover is up to the creators of the series.