"webassign" problem, CENTRIPETAL ACCEL

• Thread starter lettertwelve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centripetal
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem regarding centripetal acceleration in a revolving restaurant. The student uses the equation 4*pi*R/T^2, as directed by their teacher, but does not get the correct answer. It is then suggested to use the equation for tangential velocity, v = \frac{2 \pi r}{T}, and plug it into a_{centrip} = \frac{v^2}{r} to get the correct answer. The student realizes their mistake of not using the tangential velocity first and thanks the person for their help. It is then mentioned that the teacher's equation is just a result of substituting the tangential velocity equation into the centripetal acceleration equation.
lettertwelve
[SOLVED] "webassign" problem, CENTRIPETAL ACCEL

Homework Statement

The Emerald Suite, a revolving restaurant at the top of the Space Needle in Seattle, Washington, makes a complete turn once every hour. What is the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration of the customer sitting 14.5 m from the restaurant's center?

Homework Equations

4*pi*R(radius) / T^2

where T=time

The Attempt at a Solution

so then it would be

4*pi*14.5/3600^2, which gives me: 1.41E-5

but it's showing me that its incorrect...but i don't see how!

EDIT: also, is there a difference between the magnitude of centripetal acceleration as opposed to mere centripetal acceleration?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The tangential velocity "v" is [tex] v = \frac{2 \pi r}{T} [/tex] if I remember correctly. Can you tell me what equation you used for the centripetal acceleration?

hotcommodity said:
The tangential velocity "v" is [tex] v = \frac{2 \pi r}{T} [/tex] if I remember correctly. Can you tell me what equation you used for the centripetal acceleration?

i used 4*pi*R/T^2, as my teacher directed in class for this particular problem.

for T i converted it to seconds

The equation you posted will give you the units for acceleration, but I've never seen that equation before. Try using the equation for tangential velocity that I gave you, and plug it into [tex] a_{centrip} = \frac{v^2}{r} [/tex].

hotcommodity said:
The equation you posted will give you the units for acceleration, but I've never seen that equation before. Try using the equation for tangential velocity that I gave you, and plug it into [tex] a_{centrip} = \frac{v^2}{r} [/tex].

I tried your equation, and got 4.41E-5, which gave me the correct answer. i don't understand why my teacher gave me that equation though...

i actually used your equation yesterday, and got the same answer. it must have been a webassign glitch?

thank you anyways.

my mistake was that i didnt do the tangential velocity first.

You're welcome. It'd be interesting to know where your teacher got that equation, but I'm glad it all worked out :)

lettertwelve said:
i used 4*pi*R/T^2, as my teacher directed in class for this particular problem.

for T i converted it to seconds

There is an error here, the pi term should be squared. That's why you didn't get the correct answer with it.

It'd be interesting to know where your teacher got that equation, but I'm glad it all worked out :)
That equation is just the result of substituting [tex]v = \frac{2 \pi R}{T}[/tex] into [tex]a=\frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]

1. What is WebAssign?

WebAssign is an online learning platform that provides interactive homework, quizzes, and other educational resources for various subjects, including physics. It is widely used in educational institutions to supplement traditional learning methods.

2. How do I solve a "CENTRIPETAL ACCEL" problem on WebAssign?

To solve a CENTRIPETAL ACCEL problem on WebAssign, you will need to use the correct formula and input the given values. Make sure to follow the correct unit conversions and use the appropriate significant figures. WebAssign also provides step-by-step guidance for solving problems.

3. Can I use WebAssign to check my answers?

Yes, WebAssign allows students to check their answers before submitting them. This feature helps students identify any mistakes and learn from them. However, it is important to note that WebAssign is a learning tool and should not be solely relied upon for answers.

4. Is WebAssign free to use?

No, WebAssign is not free to use. Students are required to purchase an access code to use the platform. The cost may vary depending on the course and institution. However, some institutions may provide access codes for free or at a discounted rate.

5. What if I have trouble using WebAssign?

If you have trouble using WebAssign, you can reach out to your instructor for assistance. WebAssign also has a customer support team that can help with technical issues and other inquiries. Additionally, there are online tutorials and guides available to help you navigate the platform.