How many ways can 12 people be divided into 3 equal groups?

• Thread starter abeen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grouping
In summary, grouping 12 people can serve various purposes such as for a project, team, or study group. It offers advantages such as diverse perspectives, teamwork, and increased efficiency. The selection process for a group of 12 can involve considering qualifications and personalities or a random selection. However, there can be challenges such as communication issues and conflicting opinions. To be effective and successful, groups of 12 need clear goals, effective communication, and a healthy group dynamic, along with regular check-ins and open communication.
abeen
The number of ways in which 12 people may be divided into 3 equal groups is_
My ans is 12C4*8C4*4C4=34650.
But my test book contains the answer 5775.
So iam confused. Is my answer correct or am i missing something?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
abeen said:
i missing something?

Just that you are counting all possible orderings of the groups. What I mean is that if you have one particular grouping say { {1 2 3 4} {5 6 7 8} {9 10 11 12} } you are counting that same thing six times over (assuming that the ordering of the groups doesn't matter).

{ {1 2 3 4} {5 6 7 8} {9 10 11 12} }
{ {1 2 3 4} {9 10 11 12} {5 6 7 8} }
{ {5 6 7 8} {1 2 3 4} {9 10 11 12} }
{ {5 6 7 8} {9 10 11 12} {1 2 3 4} }
{ {9 10 11 12} {1 2 3 4} {5 6 7 8} }
{ {9 10 11 12} {5 6 7 8} {1 2 3 4} }

You just need to divide your answer by six (3!) to correct this.

Last edited:
Thank you uart.

What is the purpose of grouping 12 people?

The purpose of grouping 12 people may vary depending on the context. It could be for a project, a team, a study group, or any other collaborative effort that requires a specific number of individuals.

What are the advantages of grouping 12 people?

Grouping 12 people can have several advantages. It allows for a diverse range of perspectives and skills, promotes teamwork and collaboration, and can increase efficiency and productivity.

How do you choose the 12 people for a group?

The process of choosing 12 people for a group can vary depending on the situation. It could involve considering individuals' qualifications, skills, and personalities, or it could be a random selection process. The goal is to create a well-rounded and cohesive group.

What are some potential challenges of working in a group of 12 people?

Some potential challenges of working in a group of 12 people include communication issues, conflicting opinions and ideas, difficulty in decision-making, and unequal distribution of tasks and responsibilities. It is essential to address these challenges and find ways to overcome them to ensure the group's success.

How can groups of 12 people be effective and successful?

To be effective and successful, groups of 12 people need to have clear goals and roles, effective communication, a sense of accountability, and a healthy group dynamic. Regular check-ins and open communication can also help in addressing any issues that may arise and keep the group on track towards achieving its objectives.