Students at Imperial: Physics Q&A

In summary: If you're not interested in physics then it's probably not the right school for you. In summary, I think Imperial College is an amazing school with a great physics program. If you're interested in physics, then it's definitely worth applying.
David_Harkin
Just out of curiosity I was wondering if there are any students here studying physics at ICL as i am applying there and i would like to ask a few questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
go to student forum...type this in google

on student forum website...go to universites then go to imperail college...

there you will find imperial college students..

you should visit this forum:

thestudentroom.co.uk

there's a whole forum on imperial applications and plenty of people are around to answer questions.

Only go to Imperial if you have no desire for girlfriends, parties, or a life.

OTOH, they probably have one of the best physics courses in the world.

christianjb said:

I disagree with this statement. I have a couple of friends in Imperial, and they're doing Physics, Engineering, and Math. They do work hard, no doubt, but they also play hard.

London's an amazing place to be, the clubs are awesome, as are the parties. Given that you manage your time properly, Imperial will certainly be a fun place to be.

christianjb said:

OTOH, they probably have one of the best physics courses in the world.

Thats the only really thing I've been woried about. I've got a load of friends applyin there too so it shouldn't be too bad...seeing we get in.

David_Harkin said:
Thats the only really thing I've been woried about. I've got a load of friends applyin there too so it shouldn't be too bad...seeing we get in.

I went to Imperial in the early 90's so it might have changed a lot since then. It helps to be rich- I never had enough money to enjoy London, which is a very expensive place to live.

To be honest, it's an honor to be accepted and to attend Imperial. I may have been relatively party deprived when I went there- but I'm now living in the States doing physics and seeing a lot more of the world.

I repeat- Imperial has one of the best physics courses in the world. It's hard, but if you like physics then it's worth it.

1. What is the average class size for physics courses at Imperial?

The average class size for physics courses at Imperial is around 20-25 students. However, some courses may have larger or smaller class sizes depending on the specific subject and level.

2. Are there any research opportunities for undergraduate physics students at Imperial?

Yes, there are numerous research opportunities available for undergraduate physics students at Imperial. The Department of Physics has a strong research focus and students can get involved in projects through summer research programs, internships, or by approaching professors directly.

3. What is the job placement rate for physics graduates from Imperial?

The job placement rate for physics graduates from Imperial is very high, with over 95% of graduates securing employment within six months of graduation. Many graduates go on to pursue careers in research, academia, engineering, or finance.

4. Can students participate in extracurricular activities related to physics at Imperial?

Yes, there are several extracurricular activities related to physics available to students at Imperial. These include student-run organizations, such as the Physics Society, as well as competitions, conferences, and workshops. Students can also participate in outreach programs to inspire and educate others about physics.

5. What resources are available for physics students at Imperial?

Imperial offers a range of resources to support physics students, including well-equipped laboratories, state-of-the-art facilities, and access to cutting-edge technology. The Department of Physics also has a dedicated team of academic advisors, tutors, and career counselors to provide guidance and support to students throughout their academic journey.