Complex Solutions to z^\alpha-1=0

• Thread starter birulami
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the values of z for which z^\alpha-1=0 when z and \alpha are complex can be written in the form r\cdot e^{k 2\pi i/\beta} for every integer value k if r=1 and \beta=\alpha. Every solution can be written in this form, where r and \beta are determined by the values of \alpha with a non-zero imaginary part. This can be solved using the equation \ln z=\frac{i2k\pi\bar{a}}{\left|a\right|^2} for z=r\exp(i\varphi), where \varphi=\frac{2k\pi\text{Re}\,a}{\left
birulami
What are the values of [itex]z[/itex] for which

[tex]z^\alpha-1=0[/tex]

when [itex]z[/itex] and [itex]\alpha[/itex] are complex? Trivially,

[tex]r\cdot e^{k 2\pi i/\beta}[/tex]

is a solution for every integer value [itex]k[/itex] if [itex]r=1[/itex] and [itex]\beta=\alpha[/itex].

Can every solution be written in this form? Again this is trivial for real [itex]\alpha[/itex], but how about [itex]\alpha[/itex] with a non-zero imaginary part? What are the values of [itex]r[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] then?

Thanks,
Harald.

Physics news on Phys.org
By definition
[tex]z^{a}=\exp (a\ln z)[/tex].​
Denote
[tex]u:=\ln z[/tex].​
So you have to solve
[tex]\exp(a u)=1[/tex].​
Hence
[tex]au=i2k\pi[/tex],​
where [tex]k[/tex] is arbitrary integer. It gives
[tex]u=\frac{i2k\pi}{a}[/tex].​
Now we solve
[tex]\ln z=\frac{i2k\pi}{a}=\frac{i2k\pi\bar{a}}{\left|a\right|^2}=
\frac{2k\pi \text{Im}\,a}{\left|a\right|^2}+
\frac{i2k\pi\text{Re}\,a}{\left|a\right|^2}[/tex].​
If we find [tex]z[/tex] in the form [tex]z=r\exp(i\varphi)[/tex], then we obtain
[tex]\ln\,r=\frac{2k\pi \text{Im}\,a}{\left|a\right|^2}[/tex]​
and
[tex]\varphi=\frac{2k\pi\text{Re}\,a}{\left|a\right|^2}+
2\ell\pi[/tex]​
where [tex]\ell[/tex] is an arbitrary integer.

1. What is the meaning of z in the equation z^\alpha-1=0?

The variable z represents the complex number that we are solving for. In this equation, z must be raised to the power of alpha and then subtracted by 1 in order to equal 0.

2. What does the alpha symbol represent in this equation?

The alpha symbol represents the exponent or power that z is being raised to. This can be any complex number, including real numbers, fractions, or even imaginary numbers.

3. How do you find the complex solutions to this equation?

To find the complex solutions, we first need to rewrite the equation in polar form, using the equation z = re^(i*theta). Then, we can use the formula z = r^(1/alpha)e^(i*(theta+2kpi)/alpha) to find the complex solutions, where k is an integer.

4. Can this equation have more than two complex solutions?

Yes, this equation can have multiple complex solutions depending on the value of alpha. If alpha is a whole number, there will be a total of alpha solutions. If alpha is a fraction, there will be a total of alpha numerator solutions and alpha denominator solutions.

5. How are complex solutions represented on a graph?

Complex solutions are represented on a graph using the complex plane, where the real part is represented on the x-axis and the imaginary part is represented on the y-axis. The solutions will be points on the complex plane, with their distance from the origin representing the magnitude of the complex number and the angle from the positive real axis representing the argument of the complex number.