Pratt&Whitney, GaTech, PennState, VaTech

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, Pratt & Whitney has announced a partnership with Georgia Tech, Penn State, and Virginia Tech for fundamental research initiatives related to gas turbine propulsion systems. This collaboration will support the development of advanced technologies for commercial, military, and environmental programs. The choice of Georgia Tech as a partner is not surprising due to their excellent combustion facilities, although the speaker mentions having chosen a different location for their PhD due to personal reasons. Additionally, there are other universities, such as Clemson University, that also conduct research on turbomachinery.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
This is not technical, but it's worth looking into if one is interested in gas turbine technology.

P&W Partnering With Georgia Tech, Penn State, Virginia Tech

PRNewswire

Pratt & Whitney will partner with the universities on fundamental research initiatives that support the design and development of state-of-the-art gas turbine propulsion systems for commercial, military, and emerging technology and environmental programs.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes GA Tech has one of the best combustion fascilities so this is no surprise to me. I got accepted for my PhD there but I thought Atlanta was one of the unfriendliest American cities I have ever been to, so I went somewhere else. Being born and raised in Amsterdam that means something.
This seems to be tailored towards earonautical propulsion for more general turbomachinery research there is also http://www.clemson.edu/scies/utsr/index.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Pratt & Whitney?

Pratt & Whitney is an American aerospace manufacturer that specializes in aircraft engines and gas turbines. It was founded in 1925 and is a subsidiary of United Technologies Corporation.

What is GaTech?

GaTech, or the Georgia Institute of Technology, is a public research university located in Atlanta, Georgia. It is known for its engineering and technology programs and is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the United States.

What is PennState?

PennState, or the Pennsylvania State University, is a public research university located in State College, Pennsylvania. It is known for its strong academic programs and is one of the largest universities in the United States.

What is VaTech?

VaTech, or Virginia Tech, is a public research university located in Blacksburg, Virginia. It is known for its engineering and agriculture programs and is the largest university in the state of Virginia.

What is the connection between Pratt & Whitney and these universities?

Pratt & Whitney has a strong partnership with all of these universities, providing funding, research opportunities, and employment opportunities for students. Additionally, many graduates from these universities go on to work for Pratt & Whitney in various engineering and research roles.