Book to understand how differential equation solutions come about?

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for solving differential equations and recommends different books for further understanding. The recommended books include Ordinary Differential Equations by Morris Tenenbaum and Harry Pollard and Differential Equations by Shepley L. Ross. The conversation also mentions that sometimes solutions or methods just work without further explanation.
e-pi
Guys I read Shaum's outline of differential equations. I understand that for different type of differential equation you need different method to solve the equation.

My problem is i am curious how these methods to solve differential equations came about. I want to get a good understanding of differential equations, as probably in the future i hope to derive my own formula to solve non linear water wave ;9

Any good book to recommend me to read? Nothing too rigourous, I am only a engineer with light mathematical training.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most people would recommend:
Ordinary Differential Equations by Morris Tenenbaum and Harry Pollard
but I haven't read it. I have read Differential Equations by Shepley L. Ross (2nd Edition) and I think its a very good book. I don't quite know if it's what your looking for. Sometimes a solution or method works just because it does and there's nothing more you can say. Like undetermined coefficients in an exponential to solve a constant coefficient homogeneous linear system. It just works and that's that, nothing more and nothing less.

tenenbaum and pollard is the best general introduction to ord. diff eq. the best books for in depth understanding are those by v. arnol'd.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a quantity and its rate of change. It involves derivatives, which represent the rate of change, and the equations are used to model many real-world phenomena such as motion, growth, and decay.

2. Why is it important to understand how differential equation solutions come about?

Understanding how differential equation solutions come about is important because many natural phenomena and physical systems can be described by differential equations. Being able to solve these equations allows us to predict and understand the behavior of these systems and make informed decisions.

3. How are differential equations solved?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, such as separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. The choice of method depends on the type of differential equation and its complexity. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to approximate solutions.

4. What are some applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and understand processes such as fluid flow, population growth, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions.

5. Can differential equations be solved analytically?

Yes, some differential equations can be solved analytically, meaning that an exact solution can be obtained in terms of mathematical functions. However, in many cases, the equations are too complex to be solved analytically, and numerical methods must be used to approximate solutions.