Measuring Science and Engineering Programs at Universities

In summary: University of California, Berkeley, agreed that US News and World Report rankings are not the best indicators, but he also said they can be a helpful starting point.In summary, schools with good physics programs often have good engineering programs as well, and unless you've got good information to the contrary, I tend to take the absence of good ME and EE programs as an indication that a school probably lacks the math to support a good Physics major.
Cod
How can I tell whether or not a school's degree program is worth it or not? I know to stay away from the online degree mills and make sure that all schools are accredited by recogonized associations; however, I do not know how to judge a school's education benefit. Is there any way to find this information out without physically attending the school for a semester? I just want to make sure that whatever school I choose to attend doesn't have a lackluster degree program that will get me laughed at when I apply to graduate school after earning my bachelors degree. I want to get the most out of my university studies.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The quality of a school is as good as its lecturers and its researchers.
So check the school's website and find out who their prima-donna's are.
Then you check how good these people are with an internet search.
Or ask them (by email) a list of their well-known alumni. Check the names on
the list with Google. If the school is not willing to give you the list, its a bad school anyway

Ad

adlag said:
The quality of a school is as good as its lecturers and its researchers.
So check the school's website and find out who their prima-donna's are.
Ad

That a school has prima donna researchers does not imply that undergraduate education is also high quality.

I would try to find out the following from some undergrads at places you're considering applying to:

What do the undergraduate students do when they finish their degree? (get a job? what grad schools do they go to?)
Do the undergrads seem happy? Do they study together? Who are their favourite and least favourite professors?
Where do the undergrads live?
Do the undergrads do research in the summer?

You are right to be concerned. There are a lot of mediocre programs out there. Most schools with good Physics programs have a number of good engineering programs as well, and unless you've got good information to the contrary, I tend to take the absence of good ME and EE programs as an indication that a school probably lacks the math to support a good Physics major.

The US News and World report rankings are not the best indicators, but they are probably the most widely known and easily available. If a school is not in the top 100, then they are probably not worthy of serious consideration.

I'd also look at the size of the department supporting your desired major. When there are less than 5 full-time faculty in a department, it is hard for them to have either a critical mass or a suitably varied range of interests to support a good program in the discipline.

Also, you can probably post here with a major and a list of 5-10 schools and get some feedback, or ask for some suggestions regarding the best schools in your geographic area in a given field.

Michael Courtney

1. What is the purpose of measuring science and engineering programs at universities?

The purpose of measuring science and engineering programs at universities is to evaluate the effectiveness and success of these programs in producing graduates with the necessary skills and knowledge for careers in these fields. It also helps to identify areas for improvement and inform decision-making for future investments in these programs.

2. How are science and engineering programs at universities measured?

Science and engineering programs at universities are typically measured through a combination of quantitative and qualitative methods. This may include analyzing data on enrollment, graduation rates, and job placement for graduates, as well as conducting surveys and interviews with students, faculty, and employers.

3. What are some key metrics used to measure science and engineering programs at universities?

Some key metrics used to measure science and engineering programs at universities include student retention and graduation rates, research funding and publications, job placement rates for graduates, and employer satisfaction with graduates' skills and knowledge.

4. How do universities use measurements of science and engineering programs?

Universities use measurements of science and engineering programs to assess the overall quality and impact of these programs, identify areas for improvement, and make strategic decisions about resource allocation and program development. These measurements also help universities to demonstrate the value and effectiveness of their programs to stakeholders and potential students.

5. What challenges are involved in measuring science and engineering programs at universities?

Some challenges involved in measuring science and engineering programs at universities include defining and standardizing metrics across different disciplines, obtaining accurate and reliable data, and accounting for external factors that may impact program outcomes. There can also be challenges in interpreting and using the data in a meaningful way to inform decision-making.