Calculating Normal Force on a Snow Sled with Newton's Laws

• Thread starter roam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the sled with a child has a mass of 56.0 kg and is moving at a constant speed of 1.1 m s–1 down a slope of angle 35.0 ° for a distance of 18.0 m. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the snow is 0.13. Using the given information and the equations of motion, we can calculate the magnitude of the normal force, N, to be approximately 450.0 N.
roam
(a) A snow sled with a child secured safely to it has a total mass of 56.0 kg. It is lowered at a constant speed of 1.1 m s−1 down a slope of angle 35.0 ° with respect to the horizontal (as shown above) for a distance d = 18.0 m. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the snow is 0.13.

Note: g = 9.8 m s–2. Air resistance is negligible at these speeds.

Find the magnitude of the reactive force, N, on the sled.

The correct answer should be 450.0 but my answer is different. I don't know how to solve this question but here's my attemp:

ΣFx = 1.1 cos 35.0° = 0.90
ΣFy = 1.1 sin 35.0 = 0.63

[tex]a = \frac{\sum F}{m}[/tex]

ax = 0.90 ÷ 56.0 = 0.01
ay = 0.63 ÷ 56.0 = 0.01

Now to find the magnitude:

[tex]\sqrt{0.01^2 + 0.01^2} = 0.01[/tex] "?"

≠ 450.0 N

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:
The coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the snow is 0.13.

You failed to incorporate this into your solution. Taking this into consideration should help ^^

Nabeshin said:
You failed to incorporate this into your solution. Taking this into consideration should help ^^

How can I incorporate that in my solution?

ƒk = μkn
[tex] ƒ = 0.13 \times n[/tex]

So, what should I use for the n, the magnitude of the normal force?

Well, you had no problem resolving the gravity force into it's down-the-hill component. Seeing as the object seems not to be accelerating in the new "y" direction, what can we say about the forces there? This should help you solve for normal force.

What is Newton's 2nd law?

Newton's 2nd law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

How is Newton's 2nd law applied in everyday life?

Newton's 2nd law can be seen in everyday situations such as pushing a shopping cart, where the force applied determines the acceleration of the cart. It also explains why it takes more force to move a heavier object compared to a lighter object.

What is the difference between Newton's 2nd and 3rd law?

Newton's 2nd law deals with the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, while Newton's 3rd law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In other words, when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal but opposite force on the first object.

Can Newton's 2nd and 3rd law be applied to all types of forces?

Yes, Newton's 2nd and 3rd law can be applied to all types of forces, including gravitational, electromagnetic, and frictional forces. These laws are fundamental principles that govern the motion of all objects in the universe.

How did Newton's 2nd and 3rd law contribute to our understanding of motion?

Newton's 2nd and 3rd laws were groundbreaking in the field of physics, as they provided a mathematical framework for understanding the motion of objects. These laws helped scientists explain and predict the behavior of objects in motion, leading to advancements in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and mechanics.