What is the equation for f(x) using just a,b,c,d in a geometric series?

In summary, the problem is that you need to find a function from the power series: f(x)=sigma (from n=0 to infinite) (cn)x^n where in cn the n is subscripted, and then the statement is given cn+4=cn. They tell you to suppose a=c0, b=c1, c=c2, d=c3, and you have to write an equation for f(x) using just a,b,c,d. However, they say there is no way to get a definite answer to the series. You might try rearranging the original series, or factoring. Do you mean rearrange the original series or the f(
drklrdbill
The problem I have is that I have to find a function from the power series:

f(x)=sigma (from n=0 to infinite) (cn)x^n ... where in cn the n is subscript

and then the statement is given cn+4=cn ... where again n+4 and n are subscripts.

then they tell you to suppose a=c0, b=c1, c=c2, d=c3, and you have to write an equation for f(x) using just a,b,c,d. Now I think i understand when n=4, c4=c0, so then a=c4, so it would look something like this:

f(x)=a+bx^1+cx^2+dx^3+ax^4+bx^5+... but is there anyway to get a definite answer to this series?

Any help would be appreciated. thank you very much.

bill

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep. Try rearranging things, or factoring.

do you mean rearrange the original series or the f(x) function I am solving for? I need to find an f(x) function using just a,b,c,d, and x for the answer.

i'm stumped.

That's right.
By rearranging, group together those terms which has important common factors
Hint: The best way to rearrange will give you four such groups of terms.

Ok, I've almost got it.

After rearranging i got well, only up to a certain point, don't know how to get it to end since it would seem that the common term would be indefinite.

a(1+x^4+x^8)+bx(1+x^4+x^8)+cx^2(1+x^4+x^8)+dx^3(1+x^4+x^8)
=
(a+bx+cx^2+dx^3)(1+x^4+x^8+...)

but I don't know how to get this as an answer that would be definite.

Nice try (and correct!), but:
Look at the following group:
a*((x^(4))^(0)+(x^(4))^(1)+(x^(4))^(2)+(x^(4))^(3)+++)

Perhaps a pattern is emerging?

Well I understand that the pattern must be a series of x^4n, but how can i express this without using n? Ahhh, this is frustrating me beyond belief.

Do you know about geometric series?

Yes, a geometric series is when x < 1, and x^n, where n >1.

so i understand this could be a geometric series, but how would i write out a finite sequence with the one set of terms being a geometric sequence of x^4n

any help with this? i still need osme help and it's due tonight by midnight. thanks, I am stupid.

What's ailing you isn't stupidity, but a misconception of what a geometric series is.
You write:
"Yes, a geometric series is when x < 1, and x^n, where n >1."

This is completely, totally wrong!

We'll start with the series concept:
A series S(N) of N terms can be written as:

S(N)=Sum(over n from 0 to N-1)a(n),

that is, the n'th term in the sum is called a(n).
(It is most convenient to let the summation index run between the N numbers 0 to N-1, rather than between the N numbers 1 to N!)

A geometric series has the property, that no matter what n is, the ratio between the n'th and the (n+1)'th term in the series S is a common number, let's call it x:

a(n+1)/a(n)=x, INDEPENDENT of n!

The most general form the n'th term in a geometric series can have is:
a(n)=A*x^(n), where A is a constant.

We verify now that such a(n) does indeed fulfill the property of a geometric series:

a(n+1)/a(n)=A*x^(n+1)/(A*x^(n))=x.
This expression is independent of n, and hence, the expression for the n'th term is consistent with the property of a geometric series.

THE SUM OF A GEOMETRIC SERIES:
Let S(N) be a geometric series with N terms, with a(n)=A*x^(n).

Subtract x*S(N) from S(N), that is, consider the expression:
(1-x)*S(N).

Now, most of the terms in the series x*S(N) is equal to terms in the S(N) series,

and we gain: (1-x)*S(N)=A*(1-x^(N)),

or: S(N)=A*(1-x^(N))/(1-x).

You should verify this equality if you haven't done it before!

Now, let us examine the behaviour of the SEQUENCE S(N), when we "let" N go to infinity.
(When doing this examination, an individual member of the sequence, S(N), is called the N'th partial sum)

Not that if abs(x)<1, the x^(N) term will diminish towards zero when we let N go to infinity.
In this case, the sequence of partial sums S(N) converges towards a limit value S,
which is called the sum of the infinite series.
What is S?
From the expression of the S(N) partial sums, we see that:
S=A/(1-x).

By identifying what is "A" and what is "x" in your series, you should be able to solve the problem.

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0∞ cn(x-a)n, where cn are constants, x is a variable, and a is a constant known as the center of the series. It is a type of mathematical function that can be used to represent other more complicated functions.

2. What is the purpose of a power series?

The purpose of a power series is to approximate a given function by using a simpler, more manageable series. This can be helpful in solving problems in calculus, physics, and engineering, where exact solutions may be difficult to find.

3. How is the function of a power series determined?

The function of a power series is determined by the coefficients (cn) and the variable (x). These coefficients can be found using various methods such as Taylor series or Maclaurin series, and the value of x can be substituted to find the corresponding output of the function.

4. What are some applications of power series in science?

Power series have various applications in science, including in physics, engineering, and finance. They are used to model and approximate various phenomena such as motion, heat, and electrical circuits. Power series can also be used to solve differential equations, which are important in many scientific fields.

5. Are there any limitations to using a power series to represent a function?

While power series can approximate most functions, they have some limitations. For example, power series may not converge for all values of x, which means they cannot accurately represent the function in those cases. Additionally, power series may only provide an approximation and not an exact solution, which may not be suitable for certain applications.