Is This Statistics Problem on Optical Glass Complete?

In summary, the problem is incomplete as it is missing the mean of the refractive index of the glass. Without the mean, it is not possible to determine the probability of a shipment being rejected.
kuahji
Is the follow problem complete? The professor is notorious for giving problems without the complete information by mistake.

A optical firm purchases glass for lenses, and it is known from past experience that the variance of the refractive index of this kind of glass is 1.26x10^-4. Since it is important that the pieces of glass have nearly the same index of refraction, the firm rejects a shipment if the sample variance of 20 pieces selected at random exceeds 2x10^4. Assuming that the sample values is a random variable from a normal population, determine the probability that a shipment will be rejected even though the variance = 1.26x10^-4.

If it is complete, any advise about how to start the problem? If I had the mean at least I think I could use normal distribution, but as it is, I'm not sure how to start it with just the variance given.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, this problem is not complete. It does not contain the mean of the refractive index of the glass that the firm purchases. Without the mean, it is not possible to determine the probability that a shipment will be rejected.

1. What is a statistics word problem?

A statistics word problem is a type of problem that involves using data and mathematical calculations to solve a real-world situation. It often includes interpreting, analyzing, and summarizing data to draw conclusions or make predictions.

2. How do I approach solving a statistics word problem?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, identify the relevant data and variables and choose an appropriate statistical method to solve the problem. Finally, perform the necessary calculations and interpret the results in the context of the problem.

3. What are some common statistical methods used in word problems?

Some common statistical methods used in word problems include measures of central tendency (mean, median, mode), measures of variability (range, standard deviation), and correlation and regression analysis. The specific method used will depend on the type of data and the question being asked.

4. How can I check if my answer to a statistics word problem is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging in the given data into your calculations and making sure you get the same result. You can also ask a teacher or peer to review your work and provide feedback.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving statistics word problems?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving statistics word problems. Start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. Also, make sure you have a solid understanding of basic statistical concepts and formulas. Working with a study group or seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be helpful.