Leaving Physics PhD to Pursue Business: Advice Needed

• Thread starter Espresso85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary, the person speaking has recently left graduate school due to financial constraints and personal preferences. They have a background in Physics and have worked in a variety of roles in the science field. They are now interested in pursuing a career in sales or marketing related to their scientific background. They are seeking advice on how to gain a background in business, either through taking supplementary courses or pursuing an MBA or Professional Science Master's program. They are also open to the idea of starting their own business to learn about the business side of science.
Espresso85
Hello!

As of this week, I have left graduate school. I just completed my first year as an Astrophysics Ph.D. student, but between financial constraints and general unease within my program, I have decided to go another direction.

I have a bachelors in Physics, and I have interned at Kitt Peak National Observatory in Tucson, AZ. I have worked as staff with the LSST (Large Synoptic Survey Telescope) development team. In graduate school, I was using VLA (Very Large Array) data to study AGNs (Active Galactic Nuclei). I am now looking to go into the business side of science, rather than the research side. Scientific research just wasn't my cup of tea. However, I have zero business experience and no business courses to back me up. I am interested in pursuing sales or marketing as it relates to my scientific background (so, for example, working as a sales rep for Toshiba, selling MRI units).

Anyway, my question is this: What's my best course of action for gaining a background in business? Going back to undergrad for three or four years to earn a bachelors in business or a similar field is likely not an option. Taking supplementary business courses, though, while working part time may be an option. How do I approach taking supplementary courses? I really don't know how undergrad works if I'm not technically pursuing a degree. How would I add supplementary business courses to my CV in order to show potential employers that I have the business background, without a degree?

Thank you for any help or suggestions!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure you could take some classes part time at a local community college during evenings or around your work schedule as a non-degree seeking student. There would likely be a large variety of first and second year offerings you may be interested in. Some standards would include principles of economics, all sorts of introductory marketing, accounting, and business (among others) for the "supplementation" you are looking for.

Have you thought about going for an MBA? I'm not sure if it would be exactly what you're looking for (not sure what degree a sales rep for MRI units would require) but a physics undergrad degree is a fine background for it there are quite a few math, engineering, and other science majors looking for the "business side" that go that route. Of course, you are basically going back to graduate school but I would imagine a 2 year MBA would be a better way of spending your money than another bachelors degree. Good luck!

Last edited:
Generally speaking companies that sell MRI units often look to hire people who have been trained as MRI technologists (the people who operate the machines in a clinical environment) - although I'm not sure that's necessarily a prerequisite.

As far as a business education goes, I'm not convinced that you need a formal education to do well in that arena (although I'm willing to hear arguments to the contrary). I believe the best way to learn about business is to start your own.

You could also consider a Professional Science Master's program. It is a two year degree kind of like an MBA, but it tends to be more directed toward people with a science background. You would spend half your time studying higher level science courses and the other half building business fundamentals.

1. Can a background in physics be useful in pursuing a career in business?

Yes, a background in physics can be very valuable in business. The analytical and problem-solving skills learned in a physics PhD program can be applied to various business challenges. Additionally, many companies value individuals with a strong technical background, as it often indicates a strong ability to learn and adapt.

2. How can I make the transition from physics to business smoother?

There are a few ways to make the transition smoother. One option is to pursue a business-related internship or job while still in your PhD program. This will give you some experience and help you build a network in the business world. Another option is to take business courses or workshops to gain a better understanding of business principles and practices.

3. What types of roles can a physics PhD pursue in the business field?

There are many roles that a physics PhD can pursue in business. Some examples include data analyst, market researcher, consultant, and product manager. Your specific skills and interests will determine which roles are the best fit for you.

4. Is it worth leaving a PhD program to pursue a career in business?

This ultimately depends on your goals and interests. If you are passionate about business and believe it is the right career path for you, then it may be worth leaving your PhD program. However, if you are unsure and still have a strong interest in physics, you may want to consider finishing your PhD and then pursuing a business career with your technical background as an advantage.

5. What should I consider before making the decision to leave my physics PhD program?

Before making the decision, it is important to carefully weigh your options and consider your long-term goals. You may also want to talk to others who have made a similar transition and seek advice from mentors or career counselors. Additionally, consider the financial implications and whether you have a solid plan in place for your career in business.