Categorical approach to probability?

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between category theory and probability theory and whether probability theory can be understood through categories. The speaker also mentions their interest in treating random variables as generalized elements and asks for clarification on this concept. The conversation ends with a request for examples to better understand this idea.
icantadd
I am interested in, and try to understand category theory. At the same time, I am taking my first (real) probability class. I am wondering if there is a way to understand probability theory through categories, and more importantly, if so, would it be interesting? It seems that there would only be very trivial limits, i.e. only categories with monadic diagrams would have limits.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do the usual translations, but I haven't seen anyone present probability theory in a purely category theoretic manner.

One little point is, in my opinion, I think there's merit in syntactically treating random variables as generalized elements.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
One little point is, in my opinion, I think there's merit in syntactically treating random variables as generalized elements.

What do you mean, syntactically treating random variables as generalized elements. Are you talking about discrete random variables, continuous random variables, or all being generalized in some way? If the latter, I would love to see this expounded upon, maybe if you could, some examples.

1. What is the categorical approach to probability?

The categorical approach to probability is a method used to calculate the probability of an event occurring based on the number of possible outcomes. It involves dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of outcomes.

2. How is the categorical approach different from other methods of calculating probability?

The categorical approach differs from other methods, such as the classical and empirical approaches, in that it does not rely on a set of assumptions or data. Instead, it focuses on the number of possible outcomes to determine the probability of an event.

3. Can the categorical approach be used for both discrete and continuous variables?

Yes, the categorical approach can be used for both discrete and continuous variables. For discrete variables, the number of possible outcomes can be counted directly. For continuous variables, the number of possible outcomes can be approximated by dividing the range of values by a small interval.

4. What are the limitations of the categorical approach?

One limitation of the categorical approach is that it assumes all outcomes are equally likely, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it does not take into account any additional information or data that may affect the probability of an event.

5. How is the categorical approach applied in real-world situations?

The categorical approach is commonly used in situations where the outcomes are equally likely, such as flipping a coin or rolling a die. It can also be used as a starting point for more complex probability calculations in fields such as statistics, economics, and finance.