Any good book about mathematics?

In summary, the speakers are looking for resources to further their understanding of Calculus, including textbooks and e-books. They also mention an interest in Geometry, specifically Non-Euclidean Geometry, Differential Geometry, and Tensors. Recommendations for books include "Calculus: An Intuitive & Physical Approach" by Morris Kline and "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, as well as "Geometry" by Howard Eves and "Geometry Revisited" by Coxeter. They also mention online resources such as MIT OpenCourseWare and the Visual Calculus website.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I am looking to learn more about Calculus.

I have done High School Calculus.

I understand how to find the derivative, or definite integral(anti-derivative), in the following:

Quotient Rule
Chain Rule
Product Rule
Logs (10)
Trigonometry

I understand how to apply them, and there functions. (Maxima/Minima, Optimization)

I know about finding the area under the curves.

I need a textbook, or book with details, that will take me to the next level.

If possible, maybe list what the book includes.

Also, I am looking for a good book on Geometry. Any book that will allow me to study Non-Euclidean Geometry, Differential Geometry, and Tensors. They can be separate books of course.

Just to make things clear, I would like to learn Relativity. It sounds far-fetched, but if you so happen to know the best way, inform me. I'm not looking for the quickest way really; I am looking for the path in which I will understand and know what I am doing, and know what the numbers are telling me.

I learn quickly independently, so I recommend books that pick up the paste. This isn't to go fast, but merely so I don't get bored. I'm the type of person who enjoys it when the book leaves a few things out, and you somehow figure it out doing questions. If I don't figure it out, I simply look it up in another book.

THANKS!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
JasonRox said:
I am looking to learn more about Calculus.

I have done High School Calculus.

I understand how to find the derivative, or definite integral(anti-derivative), in the following:

Quotient Rule
Chain Rule
Product Rule
Logs (10)
Trigonometry

I understand how to apply them, and there functions. (Maxima/Minima, Optimization)

I know about finding the area under the curves.

I need a textbook, or book with details, that will take me to the next level.

If possible, maybe list what the book includes.
I really like Morris Kline's "Calculus: An Intuitive & Physical Approach". Another good one is the one by Michael Spivak, but I think it would seem really rigorous to someone in 1st year, but since you've already seen a bunch of calculus, maybe it won't be so scary. Kline's books includes the following: derivatives & related theorems (like product rule, etc), integrals (& related theorems for this too like int by parts, etc), the geometrical significance of the derivative & maxima/minima, trig functions & inverse trig functions, log/exp functions, polar coordinates. I think Kline's would be better for someone who hasn't seen calculus very much because it isn't as rigorous as Spivak's. Spivak's includes: derivatives & integrals with all the related theorems, infinite sequences & series (not included in Kline's). I find that the problems are a lot harder in this book; some of them are pretty long, even the ones where you just have to find a derivative, and he gives theorems to prove in the problems also. Since you want to go fast, maybe you should check out Spivak's, but if it's too fast, try Kline's.

Also, I am looking for a good book on Geometry. Any book that will allow me to study Non-Euclidean Geometry, Differential Geometry, and Tensors. They can be separate books of course.
I think the one by Howard Eves is the standard Euclidean geometry book. After that one, do Coxeter's 'Geometry Revisited'. As for Non-Euclidean, I was given some course notes that derived everything in Non-Euclidean from special relativity, and I don't know of any book that does it that way. The prof said it's works out to be the fastest way to do non-Euclidean that he knows of.

Last edited:
I'm in about the same situation as Jason. Does anyone know where I can get math e-books. I currently have no access to a library.

These may be interesting

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-013ACalculus-with-ApplicationsFall2001/Readings/index.htm

http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/

http://www.math.temple.edu/~cow/

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried the Cambridge reading list?
I think it is quite nice, bothe the 'readable maths' part and the 'history of maths' part. :smile:

1. What are some recommended books for learning mathematics?

There are many great books about mathematics, but some popular choices include "The Princeton Companion to Mathematics" by Timothy Gowers, "A Mathematician's Apology" by G.H. Hardy, and "How Not to Be Wrong: The Power of Mathematical Thinking" by Jordan Ellenberg.

2. Are there any books that make math more interesting and engaging?

Yes, there are many books that use storytelling and real-world examples to make math more interesting and accessible. Some examples include "The Joy of x: A Guided Tour of Math, from One to Infinity" by Steven Strogatz and "Math with Bad Drawings" by Ben Orlin.

3. Can you recommend a book that covers a wide range of mathematical topics?

"The Art of Mathematics: Coffee Time in Memphis" by Béla Bollobás is a popular choice for its wide range of topics and engaging writing style. "The Princeton Companion to Applied Mathematics" by Nicholas J. Higham is also a comprehensive and highly recommended book.

4. Are there any books that help with understanding difficult math concepts?

Yes, "How to Prove It: A Structured Approach" by Daniel J. Velleman is a highly recommended book for learning how to approach and solve mathematical proofs. "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas R. Hofstadter also presents complex mathematical concepts in an engaging and accessible way.

5. Are there any books that explore the history of mathematics?

There are many books that delve into the fascinating history of mathematics, such as "A History of Mathematics" by Carl B. Boyer and "The Story of Mathematics: From Creating the Pyramids to Exploring Infinity" by Anne Rooney. "The Mathematical Experience" by Philip J. Davis and Reuben Hersh also explores the cultural and philosophical aspects of mathematics throughout history.