What difference does a longer skate make?

• Thread starter invariant99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the length of ice skate blades and their impact on speed and maneuverability. The speaker with a background in mathematics poses a question about the transfer of energy and velocity when selecting different blade lengths. They also mention attempting to model the system but not being sure of the accuracy. Another participant chimes in with their knowledge of friction and how it may be affected by blade length. The conversation concludes with a speculation about the potential restrictions on blade length in certain types of skates and leagues.
invariant99
Hi. I'll start off by saying I have a background in mathematics, but not in physics. If I use the wrong term, I apologize and I hope that you'll correct me.

I am interested in buying new ice skates and I've been noticing that I can often select the length of the blade as an option (e.g. 30 cm vs 32 cm). As I'm skating along, I expect that means there's more transfer of energy occurring through the blade. Does this translate into an increase in my velocity?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
FYI, I tried to model the system with my limited mechanics knowledge, but I'm not sure I did it accurately. I imagined a mass m applying a downwards force across a surface of length x (in metres) and (x + 0.02m) for 1 second of time. I just didn't know where to go from there...

This is not the full answer:

- shorter blades increase maneuverability at the expense of speed. So, yes longer blades = better speed but less turning.

So, I guess I'm interested in quantifying it. Is it acceptable to consider the system at a point in time? I'm thinking something like instantaneous amount of work done, but maybe that's not right. I figured doing this might allow me to ignore the effect of friction.

At a guess, assumming smooth ice, I think that a blade half as long will sink about twice as fare into the ice--similar to a wheel where higher friction accompanies smaller diameter wheels. Rolling friction can be modeled as a wheel rolling uphill as a function of the length of the footprint of the wheel in deforming under load. In the case of sliding on ice, where a thin layer of ice melts underneath the blade, I should guess that the depth of melt plus the deformation of the ice is proportional to the length of the blade's footprint on the ice which is a little shorter than the blade's overall length. Without any direct knowledge to base this upon, I'd assume that the ratio of friction, 32/30 is inversely proportional to the area of the footprints to first approximation.

Must be hockey skates. I recall some rule restricting the length to 30cm, maybe just goalies though, and maybe just certain leagues. I'm not sure how much difference there would be in speed, unless the blade is also curved significantly less. Speed skates have very little curve in the blade.

1. What is the purpose of a longer skate?

A longer skate is designed to provide more stability and control for the skater. It also allows for longer and smoother gliding movements.

2. How does a longer skate affect performance?

A longer skate can improve performance by allowing for more powerful and controlled movements. It also allows for better balance and stability, which can lead to smoother and faster skating.

3. What are the benefits of using a longer skate?

Some benefits of using a longer skate include increased speed, improved balance and stability, and more control over movements. It can also reduce fatigue and strain on the muscles, leading to better overall performance.

4. Is a longer skate suitable for all types of skating?

No, a longer skate is not suitable for all types of skating. It is more commonly used for long-distance and speed skating, as well as for leisure skating. For more technical and advanced skating, a shorter skate may be more appropriate.

5. How do I determine the right length for a longer skate?

The length of a longer skate should be based on the skater's height and the type of skating they will be doing. It is important to get fitted by a professional to ensure the right size and fit for optimal performance and safety.