Sensation of weight of objects

• Thread starter OAQfirst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between perception of weight and actual weight, and how it is affected by relative increases rather than absolute ones. The concept is known as the Weber-Fechner law and falls under the domain of mechanoreception. The conversation also mentions the use of Google to find information on this topic.
OAQfirst
Is there a term/study for our ability to feel a range of weight of objects? For example, if you pick up a brick, you can definitely feel its weight. But if you put a small feather in someone's hand, she couldn't possibly feel any weight. So there is a threshold. What area of study covers this?

My search strategies with Google are generating mostly products for weight control. The closest I've found is the somatosensory system, but that's not really what I'm looking for.

Physics news on Phys.org
Was it Fischer's or Wenzel's law it was called?? Frankly, I don't remember.
However:

The basic relationship that connects perception of weight and the actual weight, is that an increase in the perception is proportional to the RELATIVE increase in actual weight rather than the absolute increase.
(i.e, if you have a 1-gram object in your hand getting another, you'll definitely notice that there was an increase, but if you held a kilogram in your hand and it was added a 1-gram object, you'd barely notice the increase)

That perceptions are sensitive to relative alterations, rather than to absolute ones is found elsewhere as well, the best known being sound, which is measured in Db.

Okay. This would be in the domain of mechanoreception then?

And thank you!

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

And my God. Google had this topic indexed but three minutes after I posted it.

1. What causes the sensation of weight in objects?

The sensation of weight in objects is caused by the force of gravity. All objects with mass are attracted to each other by this force, and the closer they are to each other, the stronger the force of gravity becomes. This force is what we perceive as weight when we hold objects in our hands.

2. Why do objects feel heavier in some places than others?

Objects can feel heavier in some places due to variations in gravitational pull. For example, objects will feel slightly lighter at higher altitudes because they are further from the center of the Earth where the gravitational pull is strongest. Additionally, objects may also feel heavier in places with denser air, such as at the bottom of a swimming pool, due to the added resistance and pressure from the surrounding molecules.

3. Does the weight of an object change in different environments?

The weight of an object does not change in different environments. However, the perceived weight of an object may change due to the effects of gravity, air pressure, and other external factors. For example, an object will feel lighter on the moon due to its weaker gravitational pull, but its actual weight remains the same.

4. Can the sensation of weight be altered?

Yes, the sensation of weight can be altered. Our perception of weight is influenced by various factors such as size, shape, density, and the force of gravity. By changing these factors, we can alter the sensation of weight. For example, a smaller but denser object may feel heavier than a larger but less dense object, even though they have the same weight.

5. How does the brain interpret the sensation of weight?

The brain interprets the sensation of weight by receiving signals from the nerves in our hands and other parts of the body that come into contact with the object. These signals are then processed and combined with other sensory information to create our perception of weight. The brain also takes into account our past experiences and expectations when interpreting the sensation of weight.