Help with total expectation formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the "law of total expectation" to find the expectation of the number of people who will give money to a beggar sitting for a certain amount of time. The problem involves a Poisson rate of 10 people per hour and a 0.2 chance of a person giving money. The beggar sits for a random amount of time between 3 and 8 hours. The given solution uses the formula E(N(X))=E(E(N(X)|X))=E(2X)=2*(3+8)/2 to find the expectation, while the speaker is confused about the use of the law of total expectation in this scenario.
yevi
I need some help with "law of total expectation".

Sorry for my English, I don't know the right English expressions.

The Problem is:
People come (show in) with with Poisson rate of 10 people per hour.
There is a 0.2 chance that a person will give money to a beggar sitting in the corner.
The time that beggar is sitting is U[3,8] (continuous) hours.

Need to find the expectation E of people that will give money.

I mark:
N(t)~P(10*0.2*t) as the number of people giving money per hour.
X~U(3,8) time that beggar is sitting.

The given solution is following : E(N(X))=E(E(N(X)|X))=E(2X)=2*(3+8)/2

What I don't understand is their usage law of total expectation, according to the formula it should be like this:

E(Y)=E[E[Y|X]]=[tex]\int[/tex]E[Y|X=x]*[tex]f_{x}[/tex](x)dx

And this is not what they have...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, anyone?

Hello,

The law of total expectation states that the expected value of a random variable can be calculated by taking the sum of the expected values of the conditional random variables, each multiplied by the probability of their respective events occurring. In this case, the random variable Y represents the number of people giving money, and the random variable X represents the time that the beggar is sitting.

The formula that you have mentioned is correct, but it is applied differently in this problem. The given solution uses the law of total expectation by first finding the conditional expected value of N(X) given X, denoted as E(N(X)|X). This is then multiplied by the probability density function of X, f(x), and integrated over the range of X to get the overall expected value of N(X).

In other words, E(N(X))=E[E(N(X)|X)]=∫E(N(X)|X=x)*f(x)dx.

In this case, the conditional expected value E(N(X)|X) is equal to 2X, as each person has a 0.2 probability of giving money and X represents the time in hours that the beggar is sitting. Therefore, the overall expected value of N(X) is 2X multiplied by the probability density function of X, which is 1/5 for a uniform distribution from 3 to 8. This gives us E(N(X))=2X*(1/5)=2X/5.

To find the expected value of X, we can use the formula E(X)=∫x*f(x)dx. In this case, the probability density function of X is 1/5 for a uniform distribution from 3 to 8. Therefore, E(X)=∫x*(1/5)dx=5.5.

Substituting this value into our previous equation, we get E(N(X))=2*5.5/5=11/5=2.2.

I hope this helps clarify the usage of the law of total expectation in this problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the total expectation formula?

The total expectation formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the expected value or average outcome of a random variable. It takes into account all possible outcomes and their corresponding probabilities.

2. How is the total expectation formula calculated?

The total expectation formula is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability, and then adding all of these values together. The resulting sum is the total expectation or expected value.

3. What is the purpose of the total expectation formula?

The purpose of the total expectation formula is to provide a way to quantify the expected value of a random variable. It is useful in decision-making and risk analysis, as it can help predict the average outcome of a situation.

4. Can the total expectation formula be used for any type of random variable?

Yes, the total expectation formula can be used for any type of random variable, including discrete and continuous variables. However, the formula may need to be modified slightly depending on the type of variable being analyzed.

5. Are there any limitations to the total expectation formula?

One limitation of the total expectation formula is that it assumes all outcomes are equally likely to occur. In reality, this may not always be the case and can lead to inaccurate predictions. Additionally, the formula does not take into account any external factors or variables that may affect the outcome.