Pull tab of beverage containers

• Thread starter noppawit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pull
In summary, beverage engineering has seen a major advance in the design of beverage containers with the invention of the pull tab. This tab pivots on a central bolt in the can's top and when pulled, applies pressure to a scored section of the can's top. Using a 10N force, the magnitude of the force applied to the scored section can be calculated using the formula F1R = F2r, resulting in a force of 23.33N. This is due to the lever system in the pull tab, causing a gearing ratio between the lengths of the pulling and pressing zones. The conversation also includes a playful exchange about opening a beer can with a pull tab.
noppawit
Beverage engineering. The pull tab was a major advance in the engineering design of beverage containers. The tab pivots on a central bolt in the can's top. When you pull upward on one end of the tab, the other end presses downward on a portion of the can's top that has been scored. If you pull upward with a 10N force, approximately what is the magnitude of the force applied to the scored section? (You will need to examine a can with a pull tab.)

After I measure the pull tab, I got:
Pull tab length is 2.5cm
From pulling zone to pivot is 1.75cm, let it = R
and from pivot to pressing zone is 0.75, let it = r

Given, pull upward 10N

Can I calculate by using
F1R = F2r
10 * 1.75 = 0.75 * F2
Fpressing = 23.33N

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it's correct, given the numbers you have for R and r.

did i hear the sound of a beer can being opened … ?

noppawit said:
From pulling zone to pivot is 1.75cm, let it = R
and from pivot to pressing zone is 0.75, let it = r

Given, pull upward 10N

Can I calculate by using
F1R = F2r
10 * 1.75 = 0.75 * F2
Fpressing = 23.33N

Is this correct?

Hi noppawit! :smile:

Looks good!

It's a lever, so the gearing is the ratio of the lengths …

hmm … now pull one for me! :wink:

EDIT: oh … and one for Redbelly98 too! :biggrin:

1. How do pull tabs on beverage containers work?

Pull tabs on beverage containers work by being attached to a small metal ring that is sealed under a tab of metal. When the tab is pulled, it breaks the seal and creates an opening for the beverage to be poured out.

2. Why are some pull tabs on beverage containers easier to open than others?

The ease of opening a pull tab on a beverage container depends on the design and manufacturing process. Some tabs may have a larger metal ring or be made from a thinner metal, making them easier to pull. Other factors such as the type of adhesive used to seal the tab can also affect the ease of opening.

3. Can pull tabs on beverage containers be recycled?

Yes, pull tabs on beverage containers are made from aluminum which is a highly recyclable material. However, it is important to check with your local recycling guidelines as some facilities may require separate recycling of the tab from the rest of the container.

4. Are there any safety concerns with pull tabs on beverage containers?

There have been concerns in the past about people accidentally swallowing pull tabs, but most modern designs have addressed this issue by making the tabs too large to fit through the opening of the container. However, it is still important to dispose of the tab properly to avoid any potential risks.

5. Do pull tabs on beverage containers have any other uses?

Some people like to collect pull tabs as a hobby, and there are also organizations that collect them for charity. Some creative individuals have also found ways to repurpose pull tabs for various crafts and DIY projects.