V substitution in homogeneous equations (diff eq)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation by substituting a variable and integrating. The person asking for help is missing a coefficient and is unsure of where they went wrong. Through simplifying and correcting an error in their algebra, they are able to reach the correct solution of |y^2-x^2|=c|x|^3.
jimmypoopins
Hey all, i think I'm doing most of this right, but I'm missing a coefficient somewhere when integrating or something...

Homework Statement

Substitute v=y/x into the following differential equation to show that it is homogeneous, and then solve the differential equation.

y'=(3y^2-x^2)/(2xy)

Homework Equations

v=y/x
y=xv(x) => y'=v+xv'
v'=dv/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

y'=(3y^2-x^2)/(2xy)
divide top and bottom of right hand side by x^2 to get v's and replace y' by v+xv'
v+xv'=(3v^2-1)/(2v)
subtract v from both sides
xv'=(3v^2-1)/(2v)-v
put the lonely v on a common denominator
xv'=(3v^2-1-2v^2)/(2v)=(v^2-1)/(2v)
separate v's and x's
(2v)dv/(v^2-1)=dx/x
integrate
ln|v^2-1|=ln|x|+c
substitute v=y/x
ln|(y/x)^2-1|=ln|x|+c
simplify
ln|y^2-x^2|=ln|x|+c

the back of the book says the answer is |y^2-x^2|=c|x|^3.

what am i doing wrong? I'm missing a 3 somewhere. I'm kinda rusty with lograthimic algebra, so all help is appreciated. I've gotten a few of these problems wrong by missing a constant or exponent on the right hand of the side of the equation after integrating.

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmypoopins said:
ln|(y/x)^2-1|=ln|x|+c
simplify
ln|y^2-x^2|=ln|x|+c

These two lines.

Remember:

[tex](\frac{y^2}{x^2})-1=\frac{y^2-x^2}{x^2}[/tex]

Now just simplify again.

rock.freak667 said:
These two lines.

Remember:

[tex](\frac{y^2}{x^2})-1=\frac{y^2-x^2}{x^2}[/tex]

Now just simplify again.

ah, sloppy algebra by me :) thanks.

then i get
ln|(y^2-x^2)/x^2|=ln|x|+ln|c|
ln|(y^2-x^2)|-ln|x^2|=ln|x|+ln|c|
ln|(y^2-x^2)|=ln|x|+ln|x^2|+ln|c|
y^2-x^2=c|x|^3

which is in the back of the book. thanks!

1. What is "V substitution" in homogeneous equations?

"V substitution" in homogeneous equations is a method used to simplify the solution process of a differential equation by substituting the dependent variable with a new variable, often denoted as V. This allows for the equation to be transformed into a separable equation, making it easier to solve.

2. When should "V substitution" be used in solving differential equations?

"V substitution" should be used when solving homogeneous equations, which are differential equations where the dependent variable and its derivatives are the only variables present. This method can also be used for some non-homogeneous equations, but it is most effective for homogeneous ones.

3. How do I perform "V substitution" in a homogeneous equation?

To perform "V substitution", first identify the dependent variable and its derivatives in the homogeneous equation. Then, substitute the dependent variable with V and its derivatives with dV/dx. This will transform the equation into a separable one, which can then be solved using integration.

4. What are the benefits of using "V substitution" in solving differential equations?

The main benefit of using "V substitution" is that it simplifies the solution process of a differential equation, making it easier to solve. It also allows for the use of various integration techniques, such as u-substitution, which can further simplify the solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using "V substitution" in solving differential equations?

One limitation of using "V substitution" is that it can only be applied to homogeneous equations. It also may not be effective for more complex equations, as it may not lead to a separable equation. Additionally, the substitution process itself can be time-consuming and may not always result in a simpler equation.