A question on the superstrings theory

• Thread starter dimitris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the superstrings theory is a fascinating concept that attempts to explain the universe as a set of quantum fields. These strings vibrate due to a zero-point energy and excited states caused by interactions. As we progress to higher energies, the universe may be better described by these one-dimensional objects, which vibrate in a similar way to a simple harmonic oscillator. This theory is still being explored and studied, and it remains a topic of great interest in the field of cosmology and physics.
dimitris
A question on the superstrings theory...

I have read almost every article there is concerning the superstrings theory and i must say that it fascinates me... Cosmology in general is fascinating

But even though my physics knowledge is limited (I am an economist) i have a question...

The strings vibrate... WHAT causes their vibration ??
is there a force that makes them vibrate or have they been vibrating since forever ? and if so, how is it possible ?

thank u

Physics news on Phys.org

dimitris said:
I have read almost every article there is concerning the superstrings theory and i must say that it fascinates me... Cosmology in general is fascinating

But even though my physics knowledge is limited (I am an economist) i have a question...

The strings vibrate... WHAT causes their vibration ??
is there a force that makes them vibrate or have they been vibrating since forever ? and if so, how is it possible ?

thank u

As I recall, there is a zero point energy with which all strings vibrate, and then from there, there are excited states due to interactions.

At all energies probed by experiments to date, the universe is accurately described as a set of quantum fields. If we take the Fourier transform of a free quantum field, each mode of a fixed wavelength behaves like a simple harmonic oscillator. A quantum mechanical property a simple harmonic oscillator is that the ground state exhibits zero-point fluctuations as a consequence of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, with energy [tex]E=\frac{1}{2}\hbar\omega[/tex].

As we progress to higher energies it may be that the universe is more accurately described by extended one one dimensional objects (strings). These strings can be open or closed (eg there ends are free, or joined). In a similar way to a harmonic oscillator, these strings have an elementary vibration which is a consequence of the HUP.

dimitris said:
I have read almost every article there is concerning the superstrings theory and i must say that it fascinates me.
I am fearful of violating a rule should I re-post a poem here, so I will instead refer you to my blog entry entitled: Strings Attached. Please tell me what you think.
-- Poeteye

What is the superstrings theory?

The superstrings theory is a highly theoretical and complex concept in physics that suggests that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny vibrating strings. These strings vibrate at different frequencies, giving rise to different particles and forces in our universe.

How does the superstrings theory explain the four fundamental forces of nature?

The superstrings theory attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) by showing that they are all manifestations of the same underlying force carried by the vibrating strings.

What evidence supports the superstrings theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of superstrings. However, the theory has been able to make predictions about the nature of particles and forces that have been confirmed by experiments, such as the existence of the Higgs boson.

What is the significance of the superstrings theory?

If proven to be true, the superstrings theory would provide a unified and comprehensive understanding of the fundamental workings of the universe. It could also potentially pave the way for a grand unifying theory that explains everything in the universe, including gravity.

What challenges does the superstrings theory face?

The superstrings theory is highly theoretical and has yet to be experimentally proven. It also requires complex mathematical models, making it difficult to test and verify. Additionally, it has faced criticism for being untestable and unfalsifiable.