Weighted verage of two variables with minimal variance

In summary, two independent random variables X1 and X2 with the same mean (mue) and known variances (s1^2 and s2^2 respectively) can be estimated by an unbiased estimator T of the form T=c1X1+c2X2. To find an expression for the variance of T, it is necessary to use the formula Var(aX + bY) = a^2 Var(X) + b^2 Var(Y). After applying this formula and simplifying, var(T) = 2(mue)^2(c1^2 + 2c1c2 + c2^2). In order to express this in terms of c1, s1^2, and s2^2
sara_87

Homework Statement

X1 and X2 are independent random variables. They both have the same mean (mue). Their variances are s1^2 and s2^2 respectively, where s1^2 and s2^2 are known constants. It is proposed to estimate mue by an estimator T of the form T=c1X1 + c2X2.
Show that T will be unbiased if c1 + c2=1
and find an expression for var(T) in terms of c1, s1^2 and s2^2.
(assuming c1+c2=1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I showed that T will be unbiased if c1+c2=1
For the next part this is what i did:

var(T) = var(c1X1+c2X2)
var(c1X1+c2X2) = E[(c1X1+c2X2)^2] + {E[c1X1+c2X2]}^2

and then after expanding and simplifying, i got:
var(T) = 2(mue)^2(c1^2 + 2c1c2 + c2^2)

I can easily change c2 in terms of c1 but how do put in terms of s1^2 and s2^2 as this is what they are asking for??

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

If X, Y are independent random variables, and a, b are real numbers, then

Var(aX + bY) = a^2 Var(X) + b^2 Var(Y)

Apply this to the setting of your problem.

Note that, relating to your work,

Var(W)

does not equal

E(W^2) + (E(W))^2

so your formula would not get you to the desired result.

Thank you v much.
I should have known that Var(aX + bY) = a^2 Var(X) + b^2 Var(Y) !

But how come for this question
Var(W)

does not equal

E(W^2) + (E(W))^2

?

Var(W) = E((W - mu_w)^2) = E(W^2 - 2Wmu_w + (mu_w)^2) = E(W^2) - 2(mu_w)^2 + (mu_w)^2 = E(W^2) - (mu_w)^2

for any random variable W. :smile: I believe you just missed a sign.

Sometimes, after staring at a problem for some time, our minds see what we want them too rather than what we've actually written - it happens to me a lot.

Oh ofcourse...it's minus...silly me.

What u said is SO TRUE.
Thanks v much.

1. What is a weighted average?

A weighted average is a type of average that takes into account the relative importance or weight of each data point. This is done by multiplying each data point by its corresponding weight and then dividing the sum of these products by the total weight.

2. How is a weighted average calculated?

To calculate a weighted average of two variables with minimal variance, you would first multiply each variable by its corresponding weight. Then, you would divide the sum of these products by the total weight. This will give you the weighted average of the two variables.

3. What is minimal variance?

Minimal variance refers to the smallest possible amount of variability or spread in a set of data. In the context of calculating a weighted average of two variables, minimal variance means finding the most accurate representation of the data points by minimizing the variability between them.

4. How is minimal variance achieved in a weighted average?

To achieve minimal variance in a weighted average, the weights assigned to each data point should accurately reflect the importance or influence of that data point. This means that the weights should be carefully chosen to minimize the overall variability between the two variables.

5. What are the benefits of using a weighted average?

A weighted average allows for a more accurate representation of the data by taking into account the relative importance or influence of each data point. This can be especially useful when dealing with a large dataset with varying levels of significance. Additionally, using a weighted average can help to minimize the impact of outliers on the overall average.