Burning Elements - Visible Light Spectrum

In summary, the conversation was about a chemistry experiment involving burning different metal chlorides on a bunsen burner to observe the different flame colors produced. The teacher explained that the colors are caused by the different amounts of electrons and energy levels in the elements, and that high electron/energy level elements tend to radiate a wider variety of colors. The conversation also touched on the concept of EM radiation and the visible light spectrum, with the conclusion that each color is a small range in the spectrum and there is no specific wavelength for each color. The individual was unsure about whether to say that elements radiate ranges of light from the spectrum or dispersed wavelengths of light, but it was clarified that each color is a small range in the spectrum.
MadmanMurray
We did a chemistry experiment were we burned different metal chlorides on the bunsen to observe the different flame colors produced. Anyhow I'm writing up the report but there's one thing I'm not sure about. I can't make any mistakes because I made the mistake of displaying way too much chemistry knowledge at the start of the year and now the teacher shows no mercy with me. He let's me away with no mistakes.

The teacher explained that the different colors are caused by the different amounts of electrons and energy levels present in the different elements. The elements burned were copper, stronium, lithium, sodium, potassium, barium and calcium. The chloride salts of these elements I mean. I don't know how to explain this I was going to say "I concluded that the different elements when burned give different ranges of light from the visible light spectrum which is evident by the different colors of light radiated by the different elements when burned".

Is this correct? Do the elements radiate "ranges" of light from the spectrum or do they just radiate dispersed wavelengths of light? The teacher told us that high electron/energy level elements such as copper radiate a wider variety of colors which is why the flame produced by copper is more yellow/white and closer to white light which contains all the colors in the spectrum. Would it be accurate for me to say that elements with large amounts of electrons/energy levels radiate a broader range of light from the visible light spectrum than lighter elements do?

EDIT: I just checked the period table and noticed what I said doesn't make sense. Copper burns with a whitish light but strontium which is higher up on the table burns with a red light. Red light is obviously missing a lot of the color spectrum.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
the color of the light from an element that is either arched or sparked is determined by the level of energy needed to release the ion from the initial element also every piece of copper that I have arched is always green and shows a line in the green or 5000 to 5500 Angstrom range ,yes you will get other lines however these may be due to impurities or other matels in the alloy you are testing,since you were using a bunsen burner the white light may have been caused by th burner itself,also checkout a book called blowpipe analys or other very old book on optical spectro analysis...WCH

You are missing a key piece here. EM Radiation emitted by something isn't always in the visible spectrum. For example, the spectral lines detected from Hydrogen were first observed in the visible range, but when QM (Quantum Mechanics) was first developed it was PREDICTED that even more spectral lines would exist past the visible light range. This was observed several years later and agreed with QM.

Is this correct? Do the elements radiate "ranges" of light from the spectrum or do they just radiate dispersed wavelengths of light?

I'm not sure what you mean. Each color is a small range in the EM spectrum. There is no specific wavelength with is the standard for that color. Instead it is the range from x-y wavelengths that are called Red or Green. Even the spectral lines are not a single wavelength, but have a small range because of quantum and relativistic effects that cause the energy of the electrons to vary slightly. If something has multiple lines within the visible spectrum, it will show up to you as a single color.

What are burning elements and how do they produce visible light?

Burning elements are substances that undergo a chemical reaction known as combustion, which releases energy in the form of heat and light. This light is produced when the electrons in the atoms of the burning element become excited and move to higher energy levels. When they return to their original energy level, they release this excess energy in the form of visible light.

What is the visible light spectrum and how does it relate to burning elements?

The visible light spectrum is the portion of the electromagnetic spectrum that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of different wavelengths of light, with each wavelength corresponding to a different color. Burning elements produce visible light within this spectrum, with each element producing a unique color depending on its atomic structure and the amount of energy released during combustion.

What factors affect the color of light produced by burning elements?

The color of light produced by burning elements can be affected by several factors, including the type of element, the temperature of the combustion, and the concentration of the element. Different elements produce different colors of light, and the temperature and concentration can influence the brightness and intensity of the light produced.

Can burning elements produce all the colors of the visible light spectrum?

Yes, burning elements have the ability to produce all the colors of the visible light spectrum. This is because each element has a unique atomic structure and energy levels, which determine the color of light it produces. By combining different burning elements, it is possible to create a wide range of colors and hues within the visible light spectrum.

Are there any safety concerns when working with burning elements and visible light?

Yes, there are safety concerns when working with burning elements and visible light. Burning elements can emit harmful gases and substances, so proper ventilation and protective gear should be used. Additionally, staring directly at bright burning elements can damage the eyes, so it is important to use caution and appropriate eye protection when working with them.