Comparing momentum and impulse of sleds

In summary: Since sled one has a mass of 2m, its momentum will be 2 times that of sled two with mass m. Therefore, sled one will have a momentum of root2 compared to sled two. In summary, the momentum of sled one with mass 2m is root2 compared to sled two with mass m.
marcuss
1. The one sled has a mass of 2m and the other sled has a mass of m show that sled one with mass 2m has a momentum of root2 compared to the sled with mass m.

The only formulas that i could think to use were p=mv and sigmaF=dp/dt and i can't seem to find a way to relate them to get an answer so any help would be nice ty.

Physics news on Phys.org
marcuss said:
1. The one sled has a mass of 2m and the other sled has a mass of m show that sled one with mass 2m has a momentum of root2 compared to the sled with mass m.

The only formulas that i could think to use were p=mv and sigmaF=dp/dt and i can't seem to find a way to relate them to get an answer so any help would be nice ty.

Was that the entire problem, or were you told anything else about the sleds? For example were their kinetic energies related somehow, or did they tell you something about their motion?

their kinetic energies were the same at the finish line

Kinetic energy = 1/2*m*v^2 = 1/2*(m^2*v^2)/m = 1/2*p^2/m
Use this relation between energy and momentum.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

What is impulse?

Impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of an object. It is defined as the product of the force applied to an object and the time it is applied for.

How are momentum and impulse related?

Momentum and impulse are related by Newton's second law of motion, which states that the change in momentum of an object is equal to the impulse applied to it. This means that the greater the impulse, the greater the change in momentum.

How do you compare momentum and impulse of sleds?

To compare the momentum and impulse of sleds, you can measure the mass and velocity of the sleds and the force applied to them. Then, you can calculate the momentum and impulse of each sled and compare the values to determine which sled has a greater momentum or impulse.

What factors can affect the momentum and impulse of sleds?

The mass, velocity, and force applied to a sled can all affect its momentum and impulse. Other factors that can influence these values include friction, air resistance, and the surface or terrain the sled is on.