Problems with newly purchased desktop PC.

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desktop pc
In summary, the computer was plugged in correctly, but when I turned it on the Gateway HD LCD monitor said there was no video signal. I had the mouse, keyboard, speakers, computer power plug, and the monitor power plug and monitor input wire plugged into the blue colored port in the back of the computer. The computer turned on, everything seemed fine, except the monitor said "no signal" on it's screen. Could the computer be broken or could there be a problem with the monitor? I paid like $1,260 for the computer, which they said had been returned by it's previous owner because they "didn't want it". The tech people at the store said they tested it for problems once they got it back and there were
The_Absolute
tried setting up my Gateway FX6710-01 today, and everything was plugged in correctly.. But when I turned it on, the Gateway HD LCD monitor said there was no video singal. I had the mouse, keyboard, speakers, computer power plug, and the monitor power plug and monitor imput wire plugged into the blue colored port in the back of the computer. The computer turned on, everything seemed fine, except the monitor said "no signal" on it's screen. Could the computer be broken or could there be a problem with the monitor? I paid like $1,260 for the computer, which they said had been been returned by it's previous owner because they "didn't want it". The tech people at the store said they tested it for problems once they got it back and there were none. Did they lie?

I noticed that the computer also came with an adapter for the blue monitor plug that attaches directly to the GPU. The other blue port which has a monitor symbol located on the back of the computer plugs directly into the motherboard. There are two adapters that plug into the Radeon GPU ports that may have something to do with the monitor, but I don't know what.. I hope that the computer is broken.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You probably need to use the adapter. That's how it is with my current set up.

Sounds like the motherboard has on board graphics, this will be disabled if you also have a graphics card. So you would plug the monitor into the graphics card.
The 'adaptor' sounds like it would be for a DVI-VGA?
Does the graphics card have the same 15pin D shaped socket as the motherboard?
If it has a larger rectangular socket with 20odd pins in three rows you need either a monitor with a DVI input or the adaptor.

If the computer has onboard graphics you probably have to disable the onboard VGA to use a video card. You can do this in your bios and plug your monitor into your motherboards onboard plug while you do so.

The first thing to check the monitor that you using is on the correct channel. The some new monitors come with VGA, DVD-I/HDMI, Composite and S-Video channels. There should be a button of the front of the monitor to toggle between channels.

If you can post the model number of the monitor and graphics card too it would be helpful in providing additional assistance.

I hope that helps.

1. What are some common problems that can occur with a newly purchased desktop PC?

Some common problems that can occur with a newly purchased desktop PC include hardware malfunctions, software incompatibility issues, and slow performance.

2. How can I troubleshoot hardware problems with my new desktop PC?

To troubleshoot hardware problems with a new desktop PC, you can try checking all cables and connections, running a hardware diagnostic test, and updating drivers and firmware.

3. What can I do if my new desktop PC is running slowly?

If your new desktop PC is running slowly, you can try clearing out temporary files, updating software and drivers, and adding more RAM or a faster processor if needed.

4. How can I check for software compatibility issues with my new desktop PC?

To check for software compatibility issues, you can review the system requirements for each program you want to install and ensure they are compatible with your desktop PC's operating system and hardware.

5. What should I do if I encounter a problem with my new desktop PC that I cannot fix?

If you encounter a problem with your new desktop PC that you cannot fix, you should contact the manufacturer's customer support for assistance or consider returning the PC for a replacement or refund.