Finding total flux on Gaussian surface

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the total flux passing through a Gaussian surface inside a uniformly charged sphere with radius R. The formula for electric flux is used but with a wrong assumption, and it is clarified that the sphere may or may not be a non-conductor.
phymateng

Homework Statement

Consider the uniformly charged sphere with radius R. Q is the total charge inside the sphere. Find the total flux passing through the Gaussian surface (spherical shell) with radius r. (r<R)

Homework Equations

I I tried solving for the Electric Flux by simply dividing the Q by Empselon Knot thought this was too simple to be right, and as I suspected it, it was wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the formula for the electric flux but using Q divided by Empselon Knot and got it wrong. Maybe I'm not getting the concepts right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi phymateng! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(it's called "espilon nought" … oh, and have an epsilon: ε :wink:)

r < R, so the surface is inside the sphere, so it's not all of Q. :smile:

Thank you. Yes, Q is the total charge inside the sphere and they are asking me to find the total flux passing through a gaussian surface of radius r inside the sphere. Radius of sphere is R. (so r<R)

this solid sphere is a non conductor i assume..right?

it doesn't say. So I assume it isn't.

1. What is a Gaussian surface?

A Gaussian surface is an imaginary surface used in the calculation of electric flux. It is a closed surface that surrounds a charge or a group of charges, and it is chosen to simplify the calculation of the electric field at a particular point.

2. How is total flux calculated on a Gaussian surface?

The total flux on a Gaussian surface is calculated by multiplying the electric field at each point on the surface by the surface area and then adding up all of these values. This can be represented mathematically as Φ = ∫E · dA, where Φ is the total flux, E is the electric field, and dA is the infinitesimal area element on the surface.

3. What is the significance of finding total flux on a Gaussian surface?

Finding the total flux on a Gaussian surface allows us to determine the net amount of electric field passing through the surface. This is useful in understanding the behavior of electric fields and their effects on charges and objects within the field.

4. Can a Gaussian surface be any shape?

No, a Gaussian surface must be a closed surface and must have a symmetrical shape to ensure accurate calculations of electric flux. Common shapes used for Gaussian surfaces include spheres, cylinders, and cubes.

5. How does the presence of multiple charges affect the calculation of total flux on a Gaussian surface?

If there are multiple charges within the Gaussian surface, the total flux can be calculated by adding the individual flux contributions from each charge. This is due to the principle of superposition, which states that the net electric field at a point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields from all charges.