Simple Combinatorics: What are odds of picking same number?

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of picking the correct letter from the alphabet with one or multiple guesses. It is determined that with two guesses, the odds are slightly more than 2/26, and this can be extended to multiple guesses using a specific formula. The conversation also addresses the scenario of simultaneous guessing and the impact of duplicates.
hamjam9
This isn't a hwk question, it's just something I've been trying to show my dad. I'm probably wrong. Okay my question is, suppose you pick ONE letter out of the alphabet.

The odds of me picking your letter are 1/26, if I only have one guess. However, if I have two guesses, aren't the odds a LITTLE bit more than 2/26? The reason why I think so is if you do the calculation this way:

Find out what the prob. is that you DONT pick the letter. Then it is (25/26)*(24/26). Since there are 25 ways to pick the wrong first letter, and then 24 ways to pick the wrong letter a second time. Now you just do 1 minus the above to get the probability it is that you pick the CORRECT letter. Is my reasoning right?

Also, obviously, if this is true, you can then extend it to three guesses, and four, etc. by:
25*24*23*22*.../26^(n) where 'n' is how many tries you took. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, 1-(25/26)*(24/26) represent the chance of picking the right letter AT LEAST once!

But, obviously, if you pick the right letter the first time, then you do NOT, in the described situation, make yet another guess; thus, for your situation, it would be incorrect to retain the probability of getting two correct guesses!

To do this properly, we can decompose our P(getting the right letter on max two guesses) as follows:

P(getting the right letter on max two guesses) =P(getting it right the first time)+P(chance of getting it right the second time, having failed the first)

This equals:
[tex]\frac{1}{26}+\frac{25}{26}*\frac{1}{25}=\frac{1}{26}+\frac{1}{26}=\frac{2}{26}[/tex]

Thanks arild! Um.. There's just one thing. I'm guessing the letters simelaneously. So there's no feedback on wether my first guess was right. I write down my two guess , and then put it on a table, and he reads it. What are the odds he tells me one of my letters are right. That's the question..

Does this change the 2/26 ?

hamjam9 said:
Thanks arild! Um.. There's just one thing. I'm guessing the letters simelaneously. So there's no feedback on wether my first guess was right. I write down my two guess , and then put it on a table, and he reads it. What are the odds he tells me one of my letters are right. That's the question..

Does this change the 2/26 ?

Well, but you DO know that you choose two DIFFERENT letters, don't you?
To put this in another way:
Thus, you can pick one combination out of 26*25 different combinations.

Label the two letters picked as "A" and "B". Now, the number of combinations in which
"A" is the right letter (but not B) is evidently 25. Equally, there are 25 possiblities that "B" is right and "A" not. Thus, you have 2*25 favourable combinations to pick between.

Thus, the probability is (2*25)/(26*25)=2/26.

It doesn't matter if you guess at the same time or one after
the other, so long as you pick different letters.

Probability of getting it right on the first one:

1/26. Easy.

Probability of missing it on the first, then getting it
right on the second:

(25/26)*(1/25) = 1/26. Not too bad.

Since these two events are mutually exclusive, we have
that P(A AND B) = 0. And since

P(A OR B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A OR B)
P(A OR B) = P(A) + P(B)
P(A OR B) = 1/26 + 1/26 = 2/26.

Looks like 2/26 to me.

csprof2000 said:
It doesn't matter if you guess at the same time or one after
the other, so long as you pick different letters.

Right. And if you can't control duplicates -- say, you're rolling a 26-sided die labeled with the letters, and C might come up twice -- the chance of guessing it is 2/26 - 1/26^2 = 51/676.

1. What is simple combinatorics?

Simple combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects in a systematic way.

2. How do you calculate the odds of picking the same number?

To calculate the odds of picking the same number, you would divide the number of desired outcomes (picking the same number) by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you have a deck of cards and want to pick the same card twice in a row, the odds would be 1/52 since there are 52 cards in a deck.

3. Is simple combinatorics only used for picking numbers?

No, simple combinatorics can be used for a variety of scenarios, such as arranging objects in a certain order, selecting a specific group of objects from a larger set, or determining the number of possible outcomes in a given situation.

4. Are there any shortcuts or formulas for calculating simple combinatorics?

Yes, there are several formulas and shortcuts that can be used for calculating simple combinatorics, such as the factorial formula, combinations formula, and permutations formula. These can be helpful for solving more complex problems.

5. Can simple combinatorics be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, simple combinatorics can be applied in many real-life situations, such as probability and statistics, game theory, and decision making. It can also be useful in fields such as computer science, economics, and biology.