I hope this helps :)What is the expression for the matrix M^n in terms of n?

• Thread starter agary12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, Rock Freak667 suggests that you look at powers of 2\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix} is also good. I'm still confused by what rock freak is trying to say.
agary12

Homework Statement

I'm in 11th grade and I've been given the following in a series of problems:

(2 0)
(0 2)
Calculate M^N for 1,2,3,4,5,10,20,50. Describe any patterns you observe. Generalize the pattern into an expression for the matrix M^n in terms of n.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(2 0)
(0 2)^2 =

(4 0)
(0 4)

(2 0)
(0 2)^3 =

(8 0)
(0 8)

(2 0)
(0 2)^4 =

(16 0)
(0 16)

((2 0)
(0 2)^5 =

(32 0)
(0 32)

(2 0)
(0 2)^10 =

(1024 0)
(0 1024)

(2 0)
(0 2)^20 =

(1048576 0)
(0 1048576)

It looks like to me that you can multiply the value in the prior matrix by 2 (for powers 1-5) to get the new value in the next one. For example:

(2 0) (16 0)
(0 2)^4 = (0 16) so multiply 16 by 2 and you have 32. You then know that the matrix to the power of 5 will look like this:
(32 0)
(0 32)

Can someone help me find a rule in terms of n for M^n?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi agary12! Welcome to PF! :smile:
agary12 said:
It looks like to me that you can multiply the value in the prior matrix by 2 (for powers 1-5) to get the new value in the next one. For example:

(2 0) (16 0)
(0 2)^4 = (0 16) so multiply 16 by 2 and you have 32. You then know that the matrix to the power of 5 will look like this:
(32 0)
(0 32)

Can someone help me find a rule in terms of n for M^n?

Well, you're almost there …

if MN =

(kN 0)
(0 kN)

what is the rule for finding kN? :smile:

I have a question about what you said,
M^N =
(kN 0)
(0 kN)
Is K being multiplied by N or is it just being included to show k is effected by N?

using this particular example:

(2 0)
(0 2)^3 =

(8 0)
(0 8)

What would the K value even be for the above value?
To get 8 from 2 you have to put it to the 3rd power, but that doesn't give me any new information. You could also multiply it by 4, but there is no 4 in the problem.

i think tiny tim is saying try to find;

k(n) = some function n...

can you describe k(n)? (i think you pretty much described it in your last post...)

agary12 said:
Is K being multiplied by N or is it just being included to show k is effected by N?

It's just an index :wink:

(btw, try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box)

(2 0)
(0 2)^3 =

(8 0)
(0 8)

To get 8 from 2 you have to put it to the 3rd power, but that doesn't give me any new information. You could also multiply it by 4, but there is no 4 in the problem.

ok, that's the N = 3 case …

how about N = 4 … what's the pattern, and the mathematical rule of that pattern? :smile:

(2 0)
(0 2)
= 2* (1 0)
(0 1)

What does this matrix represent? Now what is any matrix mulitiplied by this matrix?

agary12 said:
I have a question about what you said,

(2 0)
(0 2)^3 =

(8 0)
(0 8)

He is suggesting that you look at the numbers 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc., which are what you get with n= 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc. What function of n are those?

rock.freak667's suggestion, that you look at powers of [itex]2\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/itex] is also good.

I'm still confused by what rock freak is trying to say. I understand that this:
(2 0)
(0 2)
is equal to:
2*(1 0)
(0 1)
but why is that even important? Are you suggesting I do something with this matrix?
OH, I just typed it into my calculator and I think I may have found something. Basically this is just a
(1 0)
(0 1) matrix multiplied by 2
The only thing that you are doing when you add an exponent is putting the 2 to a power, at which point it is distributed into the matrix right?

[tex]\left\lfloor[/tex]
He is suggesting that you look at the numbers 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc., which are what you get with n= 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc. What function of n are those?

K= 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128
N= 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Sorry but I'm not sure what you mena by "what function of n are those," are you saying that I need to find what is done to N to get K? In that case I am not sure. Nothing is being consistently multiplied by the N value to get K (N * X =/= k) since:
2/1 = 2
4/2 = 2
8/3 = 2.66
16/4 = 4
32/5 = 6.4
so there is no relationship found doing what I just did. I'm not sure what else I could do to N to get K.

Last edited:
there's nothing say its a linear relation with n, and in fact its clearly not

you've said it a few times in the post so how about looking again at [tex]2^n [/tex] ?

Last edited:
there's nothing say its a linear relation with n, and in fact its clearly not

you've said it a few times in the post so how about looking again at LaTeX Code: 2^n ?

Why do you mean by looking at 2^N?

Basically I've found that the 2 values other than zero in M^n are found by putting 2 to the power you are putting the overall matrix to.

Therefore in this matrix
(2 0) LaTeX Code:^5
(0 2)

I can find the new values by taking 2^5= 32
The new matrix therefore is
(32 0)
(0 32)

Is the rule then just 2^n to find the new values within the matrix? I'm not sure if this is what they are looking for.

In response to tiny tim:

ok, that's the N = 3 case …

how about N = 4 … what's the pattern, and the mathematical rule of that pattern?

See this is the problem, I understand that you are putting 2^3 to get 8 and that 2^4 is 16, but I'm not sure what the pattern is that they are looking for. They are simply powers of 2, but how can I say this mathematically? And what do you mean by the "mathematical rule of that pattern"?

write down M as a function of n. I think what they want is M(n)

you've pretty much told us in previous posts what this is. M(n) is a multiple of the identity matrix, with scalar multiplier [tex] 2^n [/tex]

this should be enough for what you're trying to do, but for a more general case you could write each specific element of M, to do this think about each element of M
[tex]
m_{ij}(n)
[/tex], where i = row, j = column

note m is diagonal, and multiply of the identity

so what is [tex]
m_{ij}(n)
[/tex]
when [tex]
i = j
[/tex]?
and when [tex]
i \neq j
[/tex]?

in short i think you've got everything you need, just have to pull it together...

Hi agary12! :smile:

just got up :zzz: …

agary12 said:
See this is the problem, I understand that you are putting 2^3 to get 8 and that 2^4 is 16, but I'm not sure what the pattern is that they are looking for. They are simply powers of 2, but how can I say this mathematically?

oh i see!

you've got it, but you think you haven't!

how can you say mathematically "They are simply powers of 2"? …

you say aN = 2N :wink:

ok, so what is MN ? :smile:

M^N equals:
(2^N 0^N)
(0^N 2^N)
Is that it?

Sorry lane dance, I'm not sure what your saying with the i and j subscripts. I haven't ever seen those before.

agary12 said:
M^N equals:
(2^N 0^N)
(0^N 2^N)
Is that it?

Yup! :biggrin:

… except of course please write 0 not 0N

(btw, rock.freak667 :smile: was saying that M = 2I (where I is the unit matrix), so MN = 2NIN = 2NI :wink:)

no worries agary12, look like you've got there, good worki

If you find below confusing, don't worry about it for now, but thought I'll just add a bit for completeness:

the i subscript relates to the row (horizontal line across matrix), so i = 1 is teh first row, i = 2 is the 2nd row & so on. Simialrly the j relates to the column (vertical line down matrix)

So each element of teh matrix is identifed uniquely by a single i,j reference

They don't have to be the letters i & j, its just a reference, could be any letter, but you see i & j quite often in books

in terms of the identity matrix, it is often written
[tex]
\textbf{I}=
[/tex]

[tex]
(1, 0)
[/tex]
[tex]
(0, 1)
[/tex]

=
[tex]
(\delta_{11}, \delta_{12})
[/tex]
[tex]
(\delta_{21}, \delta_{22})
[/tex]

where [tex]
\delta_{ij} [/tex] is the kronecker delta defined by:
[tex]
\delta_{ij} = 1[/tex], if [tex]
i = j [/tex]
[tex]
\delta_{ij} = 0[/tex], if [tex]
i \neq j [/tex]

in terms of your matrix it would look like
[tex]
\textbf{M}(n) =
[/tex]

[tex]
(m_{11}, m_{12})
[/tex]
[tex]
(m_{21}, m_{22})
[/tex]

=
[tex]
(2^n,0)
[/tex]
[tex]
(0,2^n)
[/tex]

so you could write your formula for M as
[tex]
m_{ij} = 2^n\delta_{ij} [/tex]

this is equivalent to

M = 2n I

1. What are the Powers of the Matrix M^n?

The Powers of the Matrix M^n refers to the different values that can be obtained by raising a matrix M to different positive integer powers. This is similar to the concept of exponents in regular algebra, where a number is multiplied by itself a certain number of times.

2. How do you calculate the Powers of the Matrix M^n?

The Powers of the Matrix M^n can be calculated by multiplying the matrix M by itself n times. This can be done manually by hand, or using a calculator or computer program.

3. What is the significance of the Powers of the Matrix M^n in mathematics?

The Powers of the Matrix M^n have many practical applications in mathematics, such as in solving systems of linear equations and in representing transformations of geometric shapes. They are also used in fields such as physics and engineering to model and solve complex systems.

4. Can the Powers of the Matrix M^n be negative or fractional?

No, the Powers of the Matrix M^n are only defined for positive integer values of n. This is because matrix multiplication and exponentiation are only defined for square matrices, and negative or fractional powers would result in non-square matrices.

5. What is the difference between the Powers of the Matrix M^n and the Powers of the Matrix M^-n?

The Powers of the Matrix M^n refer to raising the matrix M to a positive integer power, while the Powers of the Matrix M^-n refer to raising the matrix M to a negative integer power. This results in different calculations and outcomes, as the inverse of a matrix is used in the latter case.