How electron transport in conductors

In summary, most of the resistance in a wire is due to the electrons moving only at the surface of the wire. This is different for solid and hollow wires, due to the different skin depths of the two types of wires.
chenhon5
Say we have a solid wire made of Cu. It seems most electrons transport at the surface of the wire. Right? So is there any difference of the resistance if we have a hollow Cu wire (same diameter with the solid wire). I think the answer shoule be "yes". Right? Becasuse, the resistance R=p*L/A (p is the resistivity).

But if the electron transport are only in the surface of the wires at both cases(solid and hollow wires) , why there is difference of the resistance?

Physics news on Phys.org
chenhon5 said:
Say we have a solid wire made of Cu. It seems most electrons transport at the surface of the wire. Right? So is there any difference of the resistance if we have a hollow Cu wire (same diameter with the solid wire). I think the answer shoule be "yes". Right? Becasuse, the resistance R=p*L/A (p is the resistivity).

But if the electron transport are only in the surface of the wires at both cases(solid and hollow wires) , why there is difference of the resistance?
Why do you think electrons are only (or mainly) moving at the surface?

For DC currents, the current density is uniform throughout the entire wire, so the resistance per unit length scales as 1/(pi R2). Thus any plane perpendicular to the length of the wire is an equipotential. For high frequency AC, the effective conduction is only near the surface, with a skin depth d, so the effectve area is only 2 pi R d and the wire resistance per unit length scales as 1/(2 pi R d).

The skin depth d is defined as d= sqrt(2/(w sigma mu)), and
w = 2 pi frequency
sigma = conductance (amps per meter2/volts per meter)
mu = permeability of conductor (copper = 4 pi 10-7 henrys per meter)

ImAnEngineer said:
Why do you think electrons are only (or mainly) moving at the surface?

I think I made a mistake and misunderstood something. And Bob give me a very clear and good explanation. Electron mostly transport in the surface with high frequency AC, not in all cases. Thanks a lot, Bob.

Bob S said:
For high frequency AC, the effective conduction is only near the surface, with a skin depth d, so the effectve area is only 2 pi R d and the wire resistance per unit length scales as 1/(2 pi R d).
Is there a simple explanation for this phenomenon or will it be quantum mechanical? I've never heard about it and it sounds rather peculiar to me. I'm just curious :) .

We know that at very high requencies, the energy of a propagating electromagnetic signal is contained in transverse E and H waves, and that the Poynting vector S = E x H represents both the power and direction. When confined between resistive conductors (waveguide or coax cable) the waves penetrate the metal, and the waves attenuate because the Maxwell equation for curl H has a resistive component (where sigma is conductiviry and epsilon is permittivity).

del x H = sigma E + epsilon dE/dt

This resistive component leads to resistive losses (sigma E) and attenuation as the wave penetrates the metal conductor. The depth of penetration is called the skin depth mentioned above.

Bob S said:
We know that at very high requencies, the energy of a propagating electromagnetic signal is contained in transverse E and H waves, and that the Poynting vector S = E x H represents both the power and direction. When confined between resistive conductors (waveguide or coax cable) the waves penetrate the metal, and the waves attenuate because the Maxwell equation for curl H has a resistive component (where sigma is conductiviry and epsilon is permittivity).

del x H = sigma E + epsilon dE/dt

This resistive component leads to resistive losses (sigma E) and attenuation as the wave penetrates the metal conductor. The depth of penetration is called the skin depth mentioned above.
Thanks for the explanation!

1. How do electrons move through conductors?

Electrons are negatively charged particles that move through conductors when an electrical potential difference, or voltage, is applied. This voltage creates an electric field, which causes the electrons to flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal.

2. What is the role of electron transport in conductors?

The primary role of electron transport in conductors is to enable the flow of electricity from one point to another. This is essential for the functioning of electronic devices and electrical systems.

3. What factors affect electron transport in conductors?

The three main factors that affect electron transport in conductors are the material of the conductor, the temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material. Different materials have different conductivities, and higher temperatures and impurities can hinder the movement of electrons.

4. How is the speed of electron transport in conductors measured?

The speed of electron transport in conductors is typically measured in terms of current, which is the rate of flow of electrons. It is measured in units of amperes (A) and can be calculated using the equation I = Q/t, where I is the current, Q is the charge, and t is the time.

5. Can electron transport in conductors be controlled?

Yes, electron transport in conductors can be controlled through the use of devices such as switches, transistors, and diodes. These devices are able to regulate the flow of electrons by either allowing them to pass through or blocking them, thus controlling the flow of electricity in a circuit.