Pass or Fail a Gen-Ed Class? Will it hurt me?

• Thread starter fizzziks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the speaker is a senior engineering major who is currently taking a theater class at the 200 level to fulfill general education requirements. They are considering taking the class as pass/fail instead of a letter grade and are wondering if this will affect their chances with graduate committees for future applications. They have a strong overall and major GPA, good recommendation letters, and a lot of extracurricular involvement and internships. The expert suggests looking into the institution's policy on taking gen-ed courses as pass/fail, but believes that graduate committees will not be concerned with this in the admissions process.
fizzziks
I'm a senior engineering major. I'm currently taking my general education requirements, particularly a theater class at the 200 level.

Is it bad if I do a pass/fail grade instead of an actual letter grade? Would the graduate committee (for whichever school I apply to) even notice/care? I have a solid overall and major GPA (>3.5), with some good rec letters, lots of clubs+activities, and many internships (4 internships).

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm surprised your institution will let you take a gen-ed credit (to fulfill gen-ed requirements) as a pass/fail course, so you'll want to look into that more thoroughly, but I don't think graduate committees will care in the admissions process.

I understand the importance of balancing academic requirements with practical experience and extracurricular activities. In regards to your question about taking a pass/fail grade for a theater class at the 200 level, it ultimately depends on your individual situation and goals.

If you are confident that you can still learn and gain valuable knowledge and skills from the class while taking it on a pass/fail basis, then it may not negatively impact your graduate school applications. However, if this class is directly related to your major or future career plans, it may be beneficial to take it for a letter grade to demonstrate your proficiency in the subject.

In terms of how the graduate committee will view your pass/fail grade, it is important to keep in mind that they will be looking at your overall academic record, including your major and overall GPA, as well as your experiences and recommendations. If you have a strong academic record and can explain your reasoning for taking the class on a pass/fail basis, it is unlikely that it will significantly impact their decision.

Ultimately, the most important thing is that you are able to balance your academic requirements with your other commitments and make the most of your college experience. As long as you continue to excel in your major and have a well-rounded application, the decision to take a pass/fail grade in a gen-ed class should not significantly impact your future prospects.

1. Will failing a Gen-Ed class affect my GPA?

It depends on your university's policies. Some universities have a pass/fail option for Gen-Ed classes, where a failing grade will not affect your GPA. However, if your university does not have this option, then a failing grade in a Gen-Ed class can lower your GPA.

2. Can I retake a failed Gen-Ed class?

Yes, most universities allow students to retake a failed Gen-Ed class. However, the policies for retaking a class may vary. Some universities may replace the previous failing grade with the new grade, while others may average the two grades. It is important to check with your university's policies before retaking a class.

3. Will failing a Gen-Ed class affect my ability to graduate?

It depends on your university's requirements. Some universities have a minimum GPA requirement for graduation, and failing a Gen-Ed class can bring down your GPA. However, if your university does not have a minimum GPA requirement, then failing a Gen-Ed class may not affect your ability to graduate.

4. Can I drop a Gen-Ed class if I am struggling?

Yes, most universities allow students to drop a class within a certain timeframe without it affecting their transcript. However, it is important to check with your university's policies and deadlines for dropping a class. Dropping a class may also have financial implications, so it is important to consider all factors before making a decision.

5. Will failing a Gen-Ed class affect my future opportunities?

It depends on the specific opportunity and the importance placed on a Gen-Ed class. In most cases, a failing grade in a Gen-Ed class will not significantly impact your future opportunities, as long as your overall academic performance is strong. However, if the opportunity is specifically related to the subject of the failed class, it may be worth addressing the failing grade in your application or interview and explaining any extenuating circumstances.