Programming needed for Cryptography

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of programming languages in the field of Cryptography, with a focus on C and assembly. The speaker suggests learning more high level languages and recommends books on crypto programming. TrueCrypt, an open source encryption program, is mentioned as a good example of a program written in C, C++, and assembly. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing gratitude for the recommendations and planning to focus on learning more about C.
The|M|onster
I was wondering, what types of programming languages are used in the field of Cryptography? I'm a math major with a working knowledge of C/C++, Java, and Python. Would it be worthwhile to learn some assembly languages? Should I learn more high level languages? Or, should I hone my skills in the languages I already know?

Technology news on Phys.org
TrueCrypt is a good open source encryption program. It's written in C, C++, and assembly. Since it's open source you can review the source yourself.
http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads2

Thank you very much for the recommendations. I suppose I will work on learning more C and check out those links.

1. What programming languages are commonly used for cryptography?

The most commonly used programming languages for cryptography are C, C++, Java, and Python. These languages provide strong support for security and have libraries and frameworks specifically designed for encryption and decryption algorithms.

2. Do I need to be an expert programmer to understand cryptography?

While having a strong programming background can be helpful, it is not necessary to be an expert programmer to understand cryptography. Basic knowledge of programming concepts and algorithms is sufficient, and there are many resources available for beginners to learn about cryptography.

3. Is it possible to implement cryptography without any programming?

No, cryptography involves the use of mathematical algorithms and techniques that require programming to be implemented. While there are tools and libraries available to make the process easier, some level of programming is necessary for cryptography.

4. Can I use any programming language for cryptography?

Technically, any programming language can be used for cryptography. However, some languages may have better support and libraries for encryption and decryption algorithms, making them more suitable for this purpose.

5. How can I ensure the security of my cryptography code?

To ensure the security of your cryptography code, it is important to follow best practices such as using well-established algorithms and libraries, regularly updating and testing your code, and keeping your encryption keys secure. It is also recommended to have your code reviewed by a security expert.