Finding final momentum and initial angular momentum after elastic collision

In summary, the problem involves a spherical satellite and a small piece of space junk colliding, where the satellite is initially moving with a velocity of <2800, 0, 0> m/s and rotating at 2 radians/second. The space junk, with a mass of 4.1 kg, is moving towards the satellite with a velocity of <-2200, 0, 0> m/s and after the collision, moves off with a velocity of <-1200, 490, 0> m/s. The final momentum of the satellite and its initial rotational angular momentum around its center of mass are to be determined. To solve this problem, conservation of momentum and energy equations must be used, taking into account
fball558
elastic collision help!

Homework Statement

A spherical satellite of radius 4.7 m and mass M = 195 kg is originally moving with velocity
v1i = < 2800, 0, 0 > m/s, and is originally rotating with an angular speed w = 2 radians/second, in the direction shown in the diagram. A small piece of space junk of mass m = 4.1 kg is initially moving toward the satellite with velocity v2i = < -2200, 0, 0 > m/s. The space junk hits the edge of the satellite at location C as shown in the diagram, and moves off with a new velocity v2f= < -1200, 490, 0 > m/s. Both before and after the collision, the rotation of the space junk is negligible.

After the collision, what is the final momentum of the satellite?

What is the initial rotational angular momentum of the satellite, around location D (its center of mass)? (Be sure your signs are correct).

im stuck on these two parts. i found out the rest and now stuck.

i used Mv1i + mv2i = Mv1f + mv2f
but got stucked
what should i do? any help would be great!
thanks

Attachments

• 32814.gif
    32814.gif
    10 KB · Views: 619
Physics news on Phys.org

It is not a head on collision. So you have to take the components of velocities of satellite and junk after collision to find the final velocity of satellite. You have to use the conservation of energy also.

what do you mean by your first statement?
i know
inital velocity of sat. is 2800,0,0
inital velocity of junk is -2200,0,0
final velocity of junk is -1200,490,0
i found I (inertia) of the sat. and it is 1723.02
w was given in problem and is = 2 r/s
energy wise you have translational KE of the sat and of the junk. also the sat has rotational KE
i found the total kinetic energy of the system to be 774330615.1 J
but i don't know what to do with these numbers to find P of sat.
is there an equation or something?

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

2. How is the momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the sum of the momentum of the two objects before the collision is equal to the sum of the momentum of the two objects after the collision.

3. Can you provide an example of an elastic collision?

One example of an elastic collision is when two billiard balls collide on a pool table. The balls will bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

4. How does the elasticity of the objects affect the collision?

The elasticity of the objects determines how much kinetic energy is conserved in the collision. In an elastic collision, the objects are highly elastic, meaning they do not deform or lose any energy during the collision.

5. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some energy is lost due to deformation or other factors. In an inelastic collision, the objects may stick together or one object may gain more kinetic energy than the other.