Raman Spectroscopy: Freshman Physics Major Summer Research

In summary, Raman spectroscopy is a technique used in physics to analyze the energy levels of molecules by studying the inelastic scattering of photons. This can be understood in two ways - either as the transfer of energy from the molecule to the photon, or as the absorption and rapid re-emission of photons. Raman spectroscopy has different selection rules than IR spectroscopy, making it a useful complement to this technique. For more information, visit the website http://rdrs.uaic.ro.
Christine90NY
I'm a freshman physics major and I'm doing summer research on Raman Spectroscopy. I've read up on it a bit but I was wondering if there are any resources that would help me better understand or at least get a general idea of what this is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tried wikipedia?

But to be a bit more helpful, there are two completely different rationalizations for Raman spectroscopy (which is something I always found nifty). One is the 'semi-classical' way of looking at it. View light as a particle (photons) and Raman spectroscopy is the inelastic scattering of photons by molecules. So the photons that are coming out will differ in energy from the ones going in by certain amounts, depending on how much energy they transferred (or received) from the molecule. That, in turn, tells you about the existing energy levels of the molecule.

The other way to view it, is that the photon is absorbed, corresponding to an excitation to a virtual, i.e. non-existent, energy level. Which does not violate quantum physics if the excitation is for a short enough time (c.f. the time-energy uncertainty principle). So the photon is rapidly re-emitted, corresponding to a transition back to a higher or lower real energy level.

One reason Raman spectroscopy is useful is that it has different, often (always? I can't recall) complementary, selection rules to IR spectroscopy (which is limited to dipole-moment transitions). So transitions that are weak/'prohibited' in the IR spectrum are strong in the Raman spectrum, and vice-versa.

Last edited:
Try this website: http://rdrs.uaic.ro" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Raman Spectroscopy?

Raman Spectroscopy is a technique used in the field of analytical chemistry to identify and study various molecules. It involves shining a laser beam onto a sample and measuring the scattered light to determine the vibrational energy levels of the molecules present.

2. How does Raman Spectroscopy work?

Raman Spectroscopy works by using a laser to excite the molecules in a sample, causing them to vibrate and emit light at different wavelengths. This scattered light is then analyzed to determine the molecular structure and composition of the sample.

3. What are the applications of Raman Spectroscopy?

Raman Spectroscopy has a wide range of applications in various fields such as pharmaceuticals, forensics, environmental science, and materials science. It can be used to identify unknown substances, monitor chemical reactions, and study the structure of complex molecules.

4. What are the advantages of using Raman Spectroscopy?

Raman Spectroscopy has several advantages over other analytical techniques. It is non-destructive, meaning the sample does not need to be altered or destroyed for analysis. It also has high sensitivity and can detect even small amounts of a substance in a sample.

5. How is Raman Spectroscopy used in summer research for freshman physics majors?

Freshman physics majors may use Raman Spectroscopy in their summer research projects to gain hands-on experience with a commonly used analytical technique. They may use it to study the composition of materials or to analyze the effects of different factors on the vibrational energy levels of molecules in a sample.