Pressure Ratio of He to N2 at Equal Density

In summary, the pressure ratio of He to N2 at which helium would have the same density as nitrogen is 7:1. This can be calculated using the ideal gas law, where the number of moles of helium is 7 times the number of moles of nitrogen.
Bohrok

Homework Statement

Calculate the pressure ratio of He to N2 at which helium would have the same density as nitrogen if their temperatures were the same.

Homework Equations

I used D = m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

DHe = mHe/v
DN2 = mN2/v
Both gases occupy the same volume, so just v for both.

Since DHe = DN2,
mHr/v = mN2/v and mHe = mN2

For some x and y,
x mol He(4.003 g/mol He) = mHe
y mol N2(28.01 g/mol N2) = mN2

4.003x g = 28.01y g
x = 7y

To me it looks like there are 7 times as many moles of He as N2 but I doubt that would directly apply to their pressure ratios. I think I'd have to use PV = nRT but I'm not sure how I'd put it in.
I was actually helping some chemistry students earlier today with this and am hoping I can have the answer ready for them tomorrow morning. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, I have no idea what the question asks. Oxygen? And why do you use neon in your calculations?

Could be what you did is OK, but with all these typos/inconsistencies it is not.

I fixed the Ne and oxygen; I have an older edition of the book than that which the students are using and I hadn't quite changed everything to match the problem in their book. Should be alright now.

OK.

Now, knowing ratio of numbers of moles try to calculate ratio of pressures using PV=nRT. Don't be surprised if everything cancels out :wink:

I think I got it now (don't know why I didn't look at it like this before)

I found that nHe/nN2 = 7/1, and using P = nRT/V,

PHe/PN2 = (nHeRT/V)/(nN2RT/V)
PHe/PN2 = nHe/nN2 = 7/1

What is the pressure ratio of He to N2 at equal density?

The pressure ratio of He to N2 at equal density is approximately 0.82. This means that at the same density, the pressure of helium gas will be 0.82 times that of nitrogen gas.

How is the pressure ratio of He to N2 at equal density calculated?

The pressure ratio can be calculated by dividing the molar mass of He (4 g/mol) by the molar mass of N2 (28 g/mol), and then taking the square root of the result. This is because the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its molar mass at constant density.

Why is the pressure ratio of He to N2 at equal density important?

The pressure ratio is important because it allows us to compare the pressure of different gases at the same density. This is useful in various scientific and engineering applications, such as in gas mixtures for industrial processes or in determining the performance of a gas turbine engine.

Is the pressure ratio of He to N2 at equal density constant at all temperatures?

No, the pressure ratio is not constant at all temperatures. It is affected by changes in temperature, as the molar mass of gases changes with temperature. However, at standard temperature and pressure (STP), the pressure ratio remains relatively constant.

How does the pressure ratio of He to N2 at equal density vary with altitude?

The pressure ratio varies with altitude due to changes in temperature and pressure. As altitude increases, the pressure decreases, causing the pressure ratio to increase. This is because the molar mass of gases decreases with increasing altitude, resulting in a higher pressure ratio.