How do I calculate acceleration with a mass of Zero

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of calculating acceleration and speed of an object with zero mass in a vacuum. It is determined that the laws of physics fail in this scenario, and the object would either travel to infinity or fall to the ground. The conversation also touches on the idea of ignoring the speed of light, but it is concluded that this is not a valid approach for understanding the movement of mass-less objects. The conversation is then locked due to the discussion of disregarding the laws of physics.
casio69
Hi all,

If I have an object with zero mass in a vacuum and apply say 1n of force to the object how
can I calculate its acceleration, and current speed at any time?

Thanks all.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't. You'll have a division by zero.

all massless particles travel at the speed of light.

As Vanadium50 pointed out, a = F/m gets you in trouble. You can understand this more clearly by considering what happens if you apply this same force to a succession of increasingly smaller masses. Look at the curve of a = F/m (a hyperbola), and you see that the lighter the mass, the higher the acceleration, which goes to infinity as the mass goes to zero.

That's the nonrelativistic answer, i.e. what Newton would have told you. Cragar's response comes from Einstein's Theory of Relativity, where there are no infinite speeds (or accelerations). The speed of light is the absolute speed limit, so massless particles must all move at that speed (they can't ever be at rest, or they would appear to be moving at a speed less than c to some observers).

belliott4488 said:
As Vanadium50 pointed out, a = F/m gets you in trouble. You can understand this more clearly by considering what happens if you apply this same force to a succession of increasingly smaller masses. Look at the curve of a = F/m (a hyperbola), and you see that the lighter the mass, the higher the acceleration, which goes to infinity as the mass goes to zero.

That's the nonrelativistic answer, i.e. what Newton would have told you. Cragar's response comes from Einstein's Theory of Relativity, where there are no infinite speeds (or accelerations). The speed of light is the absolute speed limit, so massless particles must all move at that speed (they can't ever be at rest, or they would appear to be moving at a speed less than c to some observers).

thanks. I was getting a div zero, and needed a fix for it. I also don't subscribe to the absolute speed limit thing. I need a formula that ignores the speed of light and gives me the acceleration and speed of a mass-less object.

Basically I need a way of working out the following scenrio.

An object with a mass of say 10kg is sat in geo stationary orbit.
The object has a way to reduce it's mass to zero.
It applies some thrust say 1n for 1 second
It then returns to normal mass
How far has it traveled?

casio69 said:
I also don't subscribe to the absolute speed limit thing. [...]
Fail.

(How were you going to push so hard against something that doesn't resist being pushed against, anyway?)

casio69 said:
Basically I need a way of working out the following scenrio.

An object with a mass of say 10kg is sat in geo stationary orbit.
The object has a way to reduce it's mass to zero.
It applies some thrust say 1n for 1 second
It then returns to normal mass
How far has it traveled?

The laws of physics will fail if you intentionally make them fail. What more do you want? If you want to pretend the laws of physics need not apply, your object has traveled to the planet infinity. Or it fell to the ground. Who knows? You make up the rules.

casio69 said:
I also don't subscribe to the absolute speed limit thing. I need a formula that ignores the speed of light and gives me the acceleration and speed of a mass-less object.
If you choose to ignore the laws of physics, then you can do anything you want (just ask superman!)...except speculate about it on this forum. On this forum, we deal only in reality. Thread locked.

1. How is acceleration calculated with a mass of zero?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the net force acting on an object by its mass. However, if the mass is zero, the acceleration will be undefined or infinite.

2. Can an object with a mass of zero accelerate?

No, an object with a mass of zero cannot accelerate as there is no mass to apply a net force to.

3. Why does mass affect acceleration?

Mass affects acceleration because it determines how much force is needed to accelerate an object. The more mass an object has, the more force is required to cause a change in its motion.

4. What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is net force, and m is mass. However, this formula cannot be used if the mass is zero.

5. Is it possible to have a zero mass object in real life?

No, it is not possible to have a zero mass object in real life. All objects have some amount of mass, even if it is very small.