How to Compute the Derivative of a Complex Modulus Function

• Thread starter sigmund
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, to calculate the derivative of the function f(t)=\vert\hspace{0.07cm}u(t)+i\cdot{}v(t)\vert, you can use the chain rule and implicit differentiation. Let a=u(t)+iv(t) and f(x)=\sqrt{a^2}. The derivative becomes \frac{df}{dt}=\frac{df}{da}\frac{da}{dt}. You can then proceed to solve for the derivative using the definition of modulus.
sigmund
I have to calculate the derivative of this function:

[tex] f(t)=\vert\hspace{0.07cm}u(t)+i\cdot{}v(t)\vert [/tex]

The derivative should be expressed with u, u', v and v'.
How do you calculate this derivative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, this is a combination of the chain rule and implicit differentiation.

The first thing to do is let [tex]a=u(t)+iv(t) [/tex]

Now let [tex]f(x)=\sqrt{a^2}[/tex] and the derivative becomes

[tex]\frac{df}{dt}=\frac{df}{da}\frac{da}{dt}[/tex]

You should be able to proceed from there. If not, yell out.

sigmund said:
I have to calculate the derivative of this function:

[tex] f(t)=\vert\hspace{0.07cm}u(t)+i\cdot{}v(t)\vert [/tex]

The derivative should be expressed with u, u', v and v'.
How do you calculate this derivative?

But [tex] \vert\hspace{0.07cm}u(t)+i\cdot{}v(t)\vert = u^2(t) + v^2(t)[/tex]

So, [tex] f'(t) = 2(uu' +vv') [/tex]

EDIT : forgot SQRT, but Hurkyl got it !

That won't work at all. In particular, [itex]f = \sqrt{a^2}[/itex] is incorrect and [itex]df/da[/itex] does not exist.

The most straightforward way to compute this derivative is to simply write out the function f. You recall that [itex]|x + iy| = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex], right? Apply the definition of modulus, and you should get something you could do back in calc I.

What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of the tangent line at that point and can be thought of as the instantaneous rate of change.

How do you calculate a derivative?

To calculate a derivative, you can use the formula f'(x) = lim(h -> 0)[(f(x+h) - f(x)) / h]. This means taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in x approaches 0. Alternatively, you can use derivative rules such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule depending on the function.

What is the difference between the derivative and the slope of a line?

The derivative is a general concept that represents the slope of a function at a specific point, while the slope of a line refers to the slope of a straight line. The derivative can be thought of as the slope of the tangent line, which is a line that touches the curve of the function at one point, while the slope of a line refers to the steepness of the line over a range of points.

Why is the derivative important?

The derivative is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. It helps us to find the maximum and minimum points of a function, determine the direction of a curve, and analyze the rate of change of a function. It is also essential in many fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

Can you explain the concept of the chain rule in finding the derivative?

The chain rule is a derivative rule that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. In other words, it helps us to find the derivative of a function within a function.