Graphing y = x + sin[x] - Get Help Now!

• Thread starter dnvu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, to graph the equation x = y + sin[y] in terms of y, you can switch the places of x and y to get y = x + sin[x], then plot a table of values for both x and y and plot them in cartesian space. Alternatively, you can plot the individual functions of y and sin[y] and then add them together by thinking about their lengths from the horizontal axis. Another method is to find the first and second derivatives to determine increasing vs. decreasing and concavity.
dnvu
HI, please lend me some hints on how to graph the following equation in terms of y.

x = y + sin[y]

I know to plot it in terms of y, i should simply switch the places of y's and x's:

y = x + sin[x]

but i don't know how it looks like on the graph. Any idea how?

Appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two ways to figure out what the graph looks like: (1) Get some graphing software and have it do it for you (2) or do it yourself. If you will do it yourself, I suggest you first draw a table of values (one column for the independent variable(s) and another for the dependent variable). After that, just plot the values in cartesian space.

The graph of x = y + sin y looks like the graph of x = y except that instead of having a straight line, you have a sinosoudial (is that spelled right?) one.

Alternatively, for the graph of a sum of two functions, you could plot each individually and then kind of eyeball add them. For instance, your example

f(y) = y + sin(y)

Notice that f(y) is the sum of two functions, i.e. y and sin(y).

So you'd plot g(y) = y and h(y) = sin(y). Then you'd add them by thinking that the length between the horizontal axis and h(y) should be added to the length between the horizontal axis and g(y).

cookiemonster

Or you could find the first and second derivative, use the first for increasing vs. decreasing and the second for concavity.

I know what it means to "graph a function". What do you mean by "graph in terms of y"?

1. What is the meaning of the graph for y = x + sin[x]?

The graph for y = x + sin[x] is a sinusoidal curve that is shifted vertically by x units. The amplitude of the curve is 1 and the period is 2π.

2. How do I plot the graph for y = x + sin[x]?

To plot the graph for y = x + sin[x], you can use a graphing calculator or a software like Microsoft Excel. Simply input the equation and the corresponding x-values and the graph will be generated automatically.

3. What is the domain and range of the graph for y = x + sin[x]?

The domain of the graph for y = x + sin[x] is all real numbers. The range of the graph is from -1 to 1, as the values of sin[x] range from -1 to 1.

4. How do I interpret the intersections of the graph for y = x + sin[x] with the x and y axes?

The intersections of the graph with the x axis represent the solutions to the equation y = x + sin[x]. The intersections with the y-axis represent the value of x when y = 0, which can be solved algebraically.

5. Can I use the graph for y = x + sin[x] to solve equations?

Yes, you can use the graph to solve equations involving y = x + sin[x]. By finding the x-values of the intersections with the x-axis, you can determine the solutions to the equation. However, this method is not always accurate and it is recommended to also solve the equation algebraically.