Finding a limit through algebra

In summary, the original problem was mistyped, and the solution is 1/x/1=1/x using l'Hôpital's Rule.
chee
Hi, I'm having a bit of a problem with a certain problem assigned to me...
I must find the limit of (lnx)/(x-1), as x approaches 1. However, I may not use L'Hopital's rule; I must stick to algebra methods to solve the problem, and apparently, the definition of limit is unnecessary.
Thanks for the help.

Note: as x approaches 0 has been changed to as x approaches 1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is actually easy if you forget everything about calc. for a sec. Looking at this equation simply, the numerator goes to negative infinity as x goes to zero and the denominator goes to a negative infitesimal number (-.00000000000...1). This fraction goes to positive infinity. Using l'Hôpital's Rule, f'(ln x) = 1/x and f'(x-1) = 1 therefore this limit is the same as 1/x/1= 1/x. I'm not sure if this is the ALGEBRAIC way to do this, but it certainly is a logical approach.

why not lift the whole to e^(Inx/(x-1) = x^(1/(x-1)), which is roughly 1/x for small x. Thus In( infinity) equals infinity is a good guess for the answer.

Here is a hint:
Taylor series (from Schaum Mathematical Handbook):
ln(x) = 2[(x-1)/(x+1) + 1/3*(x-1)^2/(x+1)^2 + ...)

chee said:
Hi, I'm having a bit of a problem with a certain problem assigned to me...
I must find the limit of (lnx)/(x-1), as x approaches 0. However, I may not use L'Hopital's rule; I must stick to algebra methods to solve the problem, and apparently, the definition of limit is unnecessary.
Thanks for the help.

L'Hopital's rule doesn't apply anyway- this is not of the form 0/0 or inf/inf, etc. As napoleonmax pointed out, it is of the form -inf/(-0) which means that the limit is +infinity (which is just a way of saying that it has no limit).

type

The original limit problem was mistyped. Please note the change.

I'm not sure what you mean by "algebra methods". I would write ln(x) as a Taylor's series about x= 1.

Here's another way:

Recall the definition of a derivative: f'(a)=lim (x->a) (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a)
You`ll see lim (x->1) ln(x)/(x-1) is the derivative of ln(x) at x=1.

[tex]\frac{lnx}{x-1}=lnx^\frac{1}{x-1}[/tex] which is actually natural logarithm of x-1th root of x which converge to 1.

Last edited:
ln(10) = 1? I would think = 0.

I'm very curious to see (the meaning of) the algebraic method of taking a limit. Until today, I had always thought that a limit was essentially a calculus concept.

No it's lne because [tex]lnx^\frac{1}{x-1}=ln(1+x-1)^\frac{1}{x-1}[/tex]
Make substitiution [tex]\frac{1}{x-1}=t[/tex]. Then t is going towards infinity when x is going to 1. Expression becomes [tex]\lim_{t\rightarrow\infty} ln(1+1/t)^t[/tex] which then converges to lne=1. If you don't believe me check with mathematica or something else.

Last edited:
ln x=a
e^a=x
lim a/(e^a-1)
e^a->1
now because e^a approaches 1 a approaches 0
therefore we get 0/0.

i don't know if this the way you were searching for but at least it's algebraic approach.

tomkeus,
OK, yes, that makes sense. I misread your previous post. It helps to see the latex.

LQG,
0/0 is not defined in algebra, is it?

turin said:
tomkeus,
OK, yes, that makes sense. I misread your previous post. It helps to see the latex.

LQG,
0/0 is not defined in algebra, is it?
that's my answer that it has no limit, doesn't converge.

You cannot solve this entirely by "algebra means". You can only reduce it to [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} (1+1/x)^x[/tex]. This is basic limit which cannot be proven with algebra only.

What is a limit in algebra?

A limit in algebra is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It is used to determine the value that a function "approaches" as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value, without actually reaching that value.

How can I find a limit through algebra?

To find a limit through algebra, you can use the algebraic method of substitution, where you substitute the value that the input is approaching into the function and solve for the resulting expression. You can also use the algebraic method of factoring and simplifying, where you manipulate the function algebraically to eliminate any discontinuities or indeterminacies.

Why is it important to find limits through algebra?

Finding limits through algebra is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values. It also helps us to identify any discontinuities or asymptotes in the function, which can be useful information in solving more complex problems.

What are some common strategies for finding limits through algebra?

Some common strategies for finding limits through algebra include using the properties of limits, such as the limit laws and the squeeze theorem, to simplify expressions and solve for the limit. Another strategy is to use algebraic manipulations, such as multiplying by the conjugate or using L'Hopital's rule, to simplify complex expressions and make them easier to evaluate.

Can limits be found for all types of functions?

Yes, limits can be found for all types of functions, including polynomial, rational, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. However, some functions may have more complex or indeterminate limits that require more advanced techniques to evaluate.