Mystery Physicist Story: Who Was the Experimenter?

In summary, this physicist was a new faculty member and he had a seemingly brilliant plan for some experiment. All of the older faculty members got behind him and helped him build the experiment. There was a lot of hype, but the experiment ultimately did not produce the expected results. One of the older faculty told this younger physicist that "the way things are is always more interesting than the way we thought they were", or something to that extent. This quote is from the source cited above, which is about Compton's experiment.
DanielFaraday
One of my professors told me a story about a physicist and I can't remember who it was. It's driving me crazy. This is what I remember about the story.

Apparently this physicist was a new faculty member and he had a seemingly brilliant plan for some experiment. All of the older faculty members got behind him and helped him build the experiment. There was a lot of hype, but the experiment ultimately did not produce the expected results. One of the older faculty told this younger physicist that "the way things are is always more interesting than the way we thought they were", or something to that extent.

The physicist in the story is famous, maybe a Nobel Prize winner later in life, but I just can't remember who it was about and what the experiment was. I googled the quote, but it must be worded differently or something.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to know.

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Now it's driving me crazy, too. I vaguely remember hearing about that. I immediately thought of Rutherford, or one of his students rather, but I can't find anything about unexpected experimental results. I'll keep looking a bit.

Other thoughts: maybe something to do with the muon or pion, or maybe Feynman.

Maybe solar neutrino deficiency. I'm still looking (and going quite mad).

Last edited:
DanielFaraday said:
One of my professors told me a story about a physicist and I can't remember who it was. It's driving me crazy. This is what I remember about the story.

Apparently this physicist was a new faculty member and he had a seemingly brilliant plan for some experiment. All of the older faculty members got behind him and helped him build the experiment. There was a lot of hype, but the experiment ultimately did not produce the expected results. One of the older faculty told this younger physicist that "the way things are is always more interesting than the way we thought they were", or something to that extent.

The physicist in the story is famous, maybe a Nobel Prize winner later in life, but I just can't remember who it was about and what the experiment was. I googled the quote, but it must be worded differently or something.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to know.

Thanks!

I googled your quoted string, and got two hits. The first hit was to this PF thread of yours (not a surprise), and the 2nd hit was to the Compton Effect:

http://www.google.com/search?source...eresting+than+the+way+we+thought+they+were",+

Yes, that link is perfect! I never tried googling the exact quote because I assumed my version of the quote was off, but I underestimated my own memory. It was definitely Compton. Here is a quote from the source cited above:

Compton wanted to test an old theory of Wilhelm Weber’s that regarded the atom as the ”ultimate magnetic particle,” as Compton called it. To do so, he reflected X rays from a magnetite crystal, turned a superposed magnetic field on and off, and looked to see if there was any change in position of a Laue diffraction spot caused by a shift of the magnetite atoms in their lattice sites. Try as he might, the diffraction spot never moved; it stayed right where it was. ”My heart sank,” Compton recalled, but just then the chairman of the department, ”a tall slender gentleman with the good Minnesota name of Henry Erikson,” walked in. Compton explained his depressing negative result to Erikson. ”Well, Compton,” Erikson responded, with a friendly slap on his shoulder, ”the way things are is always more interesting than the way we thought they were.” That, said Compton, was one of the best lessons in the understanding of science that I have ever had. The mistaken notion is to get some idea and then try to prove it· · ·. The real thing that a scientist tries to do when he is faced with a phenomenon is to attempt to understand it. To do that he tries all the possible answers that he can think of to see which one of them works best.

1. Who was the mysterious physicist in the story?

The identity of the physicist in the story remains a mystery. There are no clues given about their name, gender, or any other identifying information.

2. What was the purpose of the experiment in the story?

The purpose of the experiment is not explicitly stated in the story. However, it can be inferred that the physicist was testing the effects of different types of music on the growth of plants.

3. Did the experiment have any significant results?

The story does not reveal any specific results from the experiment. However, the fact that the physicist continued their work for many years suggests that they may have found some interesting findings.

4. Why did the physicist keep their identity a secret?

The reason for the physicist's secrecy is not mentioned in the story. It is possible that they wanted to avoid any biases or preconceptions about their work based on their identity.

5. Is this story based on a real experiment or physicist?

There is no evidence to suggest that this story is based on a real experiment or physicist. It is likely a work of fiction that uses the concept of a mysterious researcher to add intrigue to the story.