Building a waterballoon launching Trebuchet

In summary, the author is 12 and is planning on building a water balloon launching trebuchet. He needs some help with the dimensions and weight of the well counterweight. He also plans to use a sling to transport the water balloon. The author recommends using a safety device to make sure the trebuchet doesn't go off while it is being loaded.
imonly12but im smart
OK as you can tell I am 12 but fairly smart (wink,wink) This summer me and my friends plan to have a huge neighborhood water gun fight and I plan on building a waterballoon launching Trebuchet about 3 or 4 feet heigh. I need some help with the materials I should use and the weight of the well counterweight in fact I need most the dimensions but the height. For quick transportation I need to use wheels which will increase the velocity at which the waterballoon will travel but i am afraid that the waterballoon will burst before it has time to be released out of the sling. What type of sling should I use? :confused:

Oh yeah forgot to mention this... I am lazy and fairly broke(after all I am only 12)

Physics news on Phys.org
oi man i really need sum help...do u noe nething about the ebergies of a trebuchet like kinetic energy,etc. man i wood really preciate it...and email me at sexy_genius92@hotmail.com...and yeh i 14

you would have to do some calculations on projectile motion. You would also have to know Work/Energy concept. This think this project will be a little hard for you.

imonly12but I am smart said:
OK as you can tell I am 12 but fairly smart (wink,wink) This summer me and my friends plan to have a huge neighborhood water gun fight and I plan on building a waterballoon launching Trebuchet about 3 or 4 feet heigh. I need some help with the materials I should use and the weight of the well counterweight in fact I need most the dimensions but the height. For quick transportation I need to use wheels which will increase the velocity at which the waterballoon will travel but i am afraid that the waterballoon will burst before it has time to be released out of the sling. What type of sling should I use? :confused:

Oh yeah forgot to mention this... I am lazy and fairly broke(after all I am only 12)

There are some trebuchet simulator programs on the net, such as ATREB

http://www.trebuchet.com/sim/

The same website sells commercial kits. I have no idea of how good the kits or simulators are. I'd suggest sticking to the demo versions of the software and looking at the pictures for ideas - actually, I'd also suggest sticking to computer simulations unless you get your parents involved to be sure you're not doing anything unsafe.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend and I built one a few years back about the size you are talking about (as a prototype... Its big brother should be coming into existence this summer :-p) We didn't do that many calculations, just read a bit and played with the simulator to get a good idea of what was going on. There's an online book around somewhere on the physics of Trebuchets...

Anyway, I don't think the force will break the water balloons, its a fairly smooth delivery. We easily get a golf ball about 100ft, but you need about 70lb counterweight - the more the better. I know our dimensions aren't anywhere near optimal - 2.5' high, 4' arm and our mechanism is pretty crude, so you might do a lot better. I think the hardest part to design is the bearing, so do some thinking!

Oh, and I agree with pervect, get your folks involved and be carefull. We made a "safety" for it as a backup to the trigger, I suggest you do the same. Just something to make sure it stays cocked while you're loading etc. That arm gets up a hell of a speed without a projectile...

Good luck.

1. How does a waterballoon launching Trebuchet work?

A waterballoon launching Trebuchet works by using a counterweight and throwing arm to launch a projectile, in this case a waterballoon. The counterweight is lifted using potential energy, and when released, this energy is converted into kinetic energy which launches the waterballoon.

2. What materials are needed to build a waterballoon launching Trebuchet?

The materials needed to build a waterballoon launching Trebuchet include wood, rope, a projectile (such as a waterballoon), a counterweight (such as sandbags or rocks), and small metal brackets for reinforcement. Optional materials may include a pulley system, a stand, and extra bolts and screws for added stability.

3. How do I determine the size and weight of the counterweight for my Trebuchet?

The size and weight of the counterweight for a Trebuchet depends on the size and weight of the projectile you wish to launch. Generally, the counterweight should be 100 times the weight of the projectile. For example, if your waterballoon weighs 1 pound, the counterweight should be 100 pounds.

4. What safety precautions should I take when building and using a waterballoon launching Trebuchet?

Safety is very important when building and using a waterballoon launching Trebuchet. Make sure to follow all instructions carefully and wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses. It is also important to have a designated launch area with no people or animals present. Always use caution and never aim the Trebuchet at anyone or anything.

5. Can I make any modifications to my waterballoon launching Trebuchet?

Yes, you can make modifications to your Trebuchet to suit your needs or preferences. Some common modifications include adding a pulley system for easier lifting of the counterweight, adding a stand for stability, or using different materials for the throwing arm. Just make sure to test your modifications carefully and always prioritize safety.