Infected from Dog Hair - Have You Experienced This?

• Thread starter junglebeast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hair
In summary, the person is allergic to dog dander and the dust in the vacuum cleaner. The steps to preventing allergy symptoms are to keep the sleeping area clean and free of dust mites and their poop, buy a new pillow every year, and keep the pillow cover waterproof.
junglebeast
I just cleaned out the vacuum cleaner which was filled with dog hair. It reeked of dog when I opened it up. A few seconds later I felt itchy in several places..I figured it was just fine dust particles that were irritating my skin. Then I went into the bathroom and saw that my skin had reacted to it more like it was poison ivy or something. As far as I know I'm not allergic to dogs...never sneeze around them, and my roommate (who is a vet) says his dog has never had flees. Any ideas what might cause this? I'm not asking for a diagnosis, just wondering if anyone has experienced this sort of thing before.

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you're allergic to dog dander.

- Warren

There are all sort of things in vacuum dust.

Ivan Seeking said:
There are all sort of things in vacuum dust.
Including dust mites feeding on the dog dander. Lots of people are allergic to dust mites (or perhaps their droppings).

turbo-1 said:
Including dust mites feeding on the dog dander. Lots of people are allergic to dust mites (or perhaps their droppings).

Some of the numbers related to pillows and bedding is sickening. There was one study that showed that really old pillows can be as much as 50% dust mite, by weight.

Ivan Seeking said:
Some of the numbers related to pillows and bedding is sickening. There was one study that showed that really old pillows can be as much as 50% dust mite, by weight.

I had heard 30%...which is equally sickening. But I just bought all new pillows and comforter and bed so that's out of my head!

Ivan Seeking said:

and dust mite poop.

One of the mattress stores out here has been exploiting that data in their commercials. There was one that said a mattress would more than double in weight in 7 years because of dust mites.

I imagine the weight would also increase due to sweat and other foreign matter secreted from skin pores..

Every matteress should have a matteress cover (preferably waterproof...no, it doesn't have to be like a vinyl cover, they make very nice, soft waterproof ones). And wash the covers as often as you wash the sheets, with hot water. I buy a new one every year or so.

New pillows every year, too...although I've not been happy with the waterproof pillow covers I've found. They're stiff and get too hot.

These steps cut down on the mite population sharing your sleeping quarters.

Math Is Hard said:
and dust mite poop.

You are correct. That is what I should have said.

lisab said:
Every matteress should have a matteress cover (preferably waterproof...no, it doesn't have to be like a vinyl cover, they make very nice, soft waterproof ones). And wash the covers as often as you wash the sheets, with hot water. I buy a new one every year or so.

New pillows every year, too...although I've not been happy with the waterproof pillow covers I've found. They're stiff and get too hot.

These steps cut down on the mite population sharing your sleeping quarters.

I think I need more dust mites to fill out my pillows. I have feather pillows (I have the fiber fill ones for guests with allergies, but I can't sleep on those hard pillows) and they all seem to lose their filling over time. There's no way I'm replacing feather pillows every year, they're too expensive, but they sure do seem to shrink a lot in a very short amount of time.

Moonbear said:
I think I need more dust mites to fill out my pillows. I have feather pillows (I have the fiber fill ones for guests with allergies, but I can't sleep on those hard pillows) and they all seem to lose their filling over time. There's no way I'm replacing feather pillows every year, they're too expensive, but they sure do seem to shrink a lot in a very short amount of time.

:rofl: Hmm...there may be a limited, but lucrative, market in dust-mite-poop pillows, haha.

I know I'm lucky, I have a (urm, well-to-do) family member who buys pillows for everyone for Christmas. Everyone loves it, and it simplifies her shopping.

1. Can I really get infected from dog hair?

Yes, it is possible to get infected from dog hair. Dogs can carry various bacteria, viruses, and parasites that can be transmitted to humans through contact with their hair, saliva, or feces.

2. How does the infection occur?

The infection can occur through direct contact with infected dog hair, such as when a person touches a dog with their bare hands or when a dog licks a person's skin. It can also occur through indirect contact, such as when a person touches an object or surface that has come into contact with infected dog hair.

3. What are the symptoms of an infection from dog hair?

The symptoms can vary depending on the type of infection, but common symptoms include skin irritation, rashes, itching, and redness. In some cases, more serious symptoms such as fever, vomiting, and diarrhea may occur.

4. How can I prevent getting infected from dog hair?

To prevent getting infected from dog hair, it is important to practice good hygiene, such as washing your hands after touching a dog and keeping your living area clean. It is also recommended to regularly groom and bathe your dog to reduce the risk of infection.

5. Can I still interact with dogs if I have been infected from their hair?

If you have been infected from dog hair, it is important to seek medical treatment and follow your doctor's instructions. After the infection has been treated, you can still interact with dogs but it is important to take precautions and maintain good hygiene to prevent future infections.