Finding Magnitude and Direction of Three Dimensional Vectors

• Thread starter ƒ(x)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the task is to find the magnitude and direction of the vector C, where C is equal to -2i-3j+4k. The magnitude is found to be √29 using the Pythagorean Theorem and trigonometric functions are used to determine the direction. Two angles are needed to specify direction, θ and Ø, and it is determined that θ is equal to 42.03° and Ø is equal to 123.7° counter clockwise from the x-axis. There is some confusion over the correct value for Ø, but it is ultimately determined to be 123.7°.
ƒ(x)

Homework Statement

Find magnitude and direction

[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{C}[/tex] = -2i-3j+4k

Homework Equations

Trig. Functions
Pythagorean Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

C = [tex]\sqrt{4+9+16}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{29}[/tex]

I don't know what to do for the angles because I'm not sure where the reference point is supposed to be.

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnitude is OK. As far as the "direction" is concerned, you need two angles to specify direction. If you imagine the tip of the vector being on the surface of a sphere (like the Earth), then you need to give the "latitude" angle θ and the "longitude" (measured from the x axis) angle φ.

Ah, ok.

If θ is the latitude one, and A is the angle from the Z-axis to the vector, then:

θ = 90° - A

cos(A) = [tex]\sqrt{13/29}[/tex]
A = cos-1([tex]\sqrt{13/29}[/tex]) = 47.97°

θ = 42.03°

If Ø is the longitude one, then:

Ø = 90 + tan-1(2/4)
Ø = 116.57° <---- Where I have a problem

My teacher says that the answer is 112°, but whenever I do it I get 116.57°. What am I missing?

If you project the tip of the vector onto the xy plane, you get the point (-2, -3, 0). Draw a line from the origin to that point. What is the angle it makes with respect to the x-axis?

2saiemh.jpg

Isn't that the situation though?

In this case, Ø = 180 - arctan(2/4)

Last edited:
Guys, I need to know if I'm doing this correctly. The homework assignment is due tomorrow.

kuruman said:
If you project the tip of the vector onto the xy plane, you get the point (-2, -3, 0). Draw a line from the origin to that point. What is the angle it makes with respect to the x-axis?

Ok, so that would be arctan (-3/-2) or 56.3 degrees. Which means that the angle from the x-axis would be 236.3 degrees going clockwise or 123.7 degrees going counter clockwise.

Sounds OK. Good luck with your homework.

What is a three dimensional vector?

A three dimensional vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction in three-dimensional space. It is represented by a set of three numbers or coordinates.

How are three dimensional vectors represented?

Three dimensional vectors are represented using ordered triplets, where the three numbers or coordinates correspond to the x, y, and z axes in 3D space.

What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. In other words, a vector tells us not only how much, but also in which direction something is moving or pointing.

What operations can be performed on three dimensional vectors?

Three dimensional vectors can be added, subtracted, and multiplied by a scalar. They can also be used in dot product and cross product calculations.

How are three dimensional vectors used in real life?

Three dimensional vectors are used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and navigation. They can be used to represent forces, velocities, and positions in three-dimensional space.