Can Derivatives Be Solved in Reverse?

In summary: I'm pretty sure it'll be very long and not very helpful at all, though.I'm sorry, I misunderstood the question. I thought you meant to solve the derivative of the function, not the inverse of the derivative. In that case, the indefinite integrals of the given functions would be e^x sin(2x) + C and tan x * tan 2x * tan 3x + C, respectively. However, I am not sure how to solve for the inverse of the derivative without using integral identities.
Zhalfirin88
Okay, there are two different questions, but are answered the same way (I believe).

Homework Statement

(1)Which function has a derivative equal to ex sin 2x

(2)Which function has a derivative equal to tan x * tan 2x * tan 3x

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought (since the teacher said to not use integrals) to try and solve it as an inverse function. Is this a good way to go about the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what your teacher meant by "don't use integrals". The functions sought are the indefinite integrals of the given functions.

And what do you mean by "solve it as an inverse function"?

HallsofIvy said:
I'm not sure what your teacher meant by "don't use integrals". The functions sought are the indefinite integrals of the given functions.

We are not "supposed" to know anything after, and including, the chain rule, (as of now) since we are in Calc I, and integrals are covered in Calc II.

HallsofIvy said:
And what do you mean by "solve it as an inverse function"?

Since integrals and derivatives are inverses of each other, I figured I could try solving it by substituting x for y and y for x, as you would to figure out an inverse function.

Last edited:
y for x substitution won't help; the question is not asking for the inverse function, but the inverse of the derivative, which, as Halls pointed out, is the indefinite integral.

These are both very hard questions, especially the second one (translation: I can't do the 2nd one). For the first, you know that (d/dx)e^x = e^x, and (d/dx)cos(2x)=-2 sin(2x). So the first thing to try is a e^x cos(2x), where a is a constant. But you will find that doesn't work, so try a e^x cos(2x) + b e^x sin(2x), where a and b are constants. Take the derivative, set it equal to e^x sin(2x), and solve for a and b.

Then complain to your teacher that these are too hard. Seriously.

Avodyne said:
y for x substitution won't help; the question is not asking for the inverse function, but the inverse of the derivative, which, as Halls pointed out, is the indefinite integral.

These are both very hard questions, especially the second one (translation: I can't do the 2nd one). For the first, you know that (d/dx)e^x = e^x, and (d/dx)cos(2x)=-2 sin(2x). So the first thing to try is a e^x cos(2x), where a is a constant. But you will find that doesn't work, so try a e^x cos(2x) + b e^x sin(2x), where a and b are constants. Take the derivative, set it equal to e^x sin(2x), and solve for a and b.

Then complain to your teacher that these are too hard. Seriously.

Lol I know they're hard that's why I came here :P But these are bonus questions, not regular homework questions, those are easy. I'll do that for the first question, but I don't understand the constants a and b. What value do they take or do you mean just some constant which you call "a"?
As for the second, anyone else have anything to say? If not I'll ask the teacher to do it in class :)

We're guessing that the function whose derivative is e^x sin(2x) takes the from f(x) = a e^x cos(2x) + b e^x sin(2x), where a and b are two constants that we don't know yet. Compute f'(x), which will obviously depend on a and b. Then see if you can find numerical values for a and b such that f'(x) = e^x sin(2x). If you can, you're done!

I know someone whose calc teacher forbids the use of the words "integral" before they learn "antiderivatives". Just call it an antiderivative :biggrin:

zcd said:
I know someone whose calc teacher forbids the use of the words "integral" before they learn "antiderivatives". Just call it an antiderivative :biggrin:

Wow. That's like saying you aren't allowed to use the word "awesome" before learning the word "antimatter".

Anyway. I managed to get the answer for the tangent one, but I honestly do not see how it is possible without using integral identities. Honestly, your teacher might just be messing with your head.

Can you post the answer to it Math Jeans, I'm just curious. I'm thinking about going to his office tomorrow and asking him to work it out, because I'm interested to see how to solve it with using indefinite integrals as said before by Ivy.

Zhalfirin88 said:
Can you post the answer to it Math Jeans, I'm just curious. I'm thinking about going to his office tomorrow and asking him to work it out, because I'm interested to see how to solve it with using indefinite integrals as said before by Ivy.

Could you post how he does the tangent one here?

Unless it's a cop out, sure. However, the guy has a PhD in Math, so I don't doubt his skills any.

1. What is a reverse derivative?

A reverse derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the opposite of a derivative. While a derivative shows the rate of change of a function at a specific point, a reverse derivative shows the original function that would produce that derivative.

2. How is a reverse derivative calculated?

A reverse derivative can be calculated by using the inverse of the derivative formula. This involves taking the integral of the derivative function.

3. What is the purpose of a reverse derivative?

A reverse derivative is used to find the original function when only the derivative is known. It can also help in understanding the behavior and properties of a function by looking at its derivative.

4. Can a reverse derivative be negative?

Yes, a reverse derivative can be negative. This would indicate that the original function is decreasing at that point.

5. Are there any practical applications of reverse derivatives?

Reverse derivatives have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to solve optimization problems, model real-world phenomena, and analyze data.