Complex analysis - graphing in complex plane

In summary, the question asks to graph the complex numbers of the form x + (6x + 5/2)i in the complex plane. This can be represented as the line y = 6x + 5/2 in the plane, which is equivalent to the suggested answer of {x + i(6x + 5/2) : x is real}. The coordinate axes in the complex plane are the same as in elementary algebra, with the real axis being the x-axis and the imaginary axis being the y-axis. There is no difference in graphing in the complex plane and using an Argand diagram.
jaejoon89

Homework Statement

Graph the following in the complex plane
{zϵC: (6+i)z + (6-i)zbar + 5 = 0}

Homework Equations

z=x+iy
zbar=x-iy

The Attempt at a Solution

Substituting the equations gives
2(6x-y) + 5 = 0
=> y = 6x + (5/2)

But that's a line in R^2. The imaginary parts canceled. The question asks to graph it in the complex plane. So what will it look like?

Physics news on Phys.org
I was told that it was all complex numbers of form x + (6x + 5/2)i but i don't understand how that's derived since I got only a line in R^2

Identify x+iy with the point (x,y) in the plane.

x+iy = (x,y)

Your answer is the same as the suggested answer. You found {(x,y) : y=6x +5/2}. The suggested answer is the same thing:
{x+iy : y=6x + 5/2}, i.e. {x + i(6x+5/2) : x is real}

Thanks, I get the part about substituting x for y. But what does that look like in the complex plane in terms of where it crosses the real and imaginary axes?

It's the line y=6x+5/2, just like in elementary algebra. The real axis is the x-axis, and the imaginary axis is the y-axis.

but then isn't it an Argand diagram with coordinate axes of y and x. isn't that somewhat different than if the coordinate axes were I am and Re? (it is just somewhat confusing since in graphing it like in elementary algebra, the i is implicit otherwise it is as if it's in R^2 ! strange...)

Last edited:
jaejoon89 said:
but then isn't it an Argand diagram with coordinate axes of y and x. isn't that somewhat different than if the coordinate axes were I am and Re?

No difference. That's what graphing in the complex plane means.

1. What is the complex plane in complex analysis?

The complex plane is a two-dimensional coordinate system used in complex analysis to represent complex numbers. It consists of a horizontal axis representing the real numbers and a vertical axis representing the imaginary numbers.

2. How do you graph a complex number on the complex plane?

To graph a complex number on the complex plane, plot the real part of the complex number on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part on the vertical axis. The point where these two values intersect is the location of the complex number on the plane.

3. What is the significance of the modulus and argument in complex analysis?

The modulus of a complex number is its distance from the origin on the complex plane, while the argument is the angle formed between the positive real axis and the line connecting the complex number to the origin. These values help in understanding the properties and behavior of complex numbers.

4. Can complex functions be graphed on the complex plane?

Yes, complex functions can be graphed on the complex plane. The output of a complex function is a complex number, which can be plotted on the plane using the same method as for a single complex number.

5. How do singularities appear on a graph of a complex function?

Singularities in a complex function appear as points on the graph where the function is undefined or discontinuous. These are typically represented as holes or breaks in the graph on the complex plane.