Newton's Laws o motions - two wedges - one sliding over the other

In summary, the minimum acceleration the wedge must be moved towards right horizontally so that the block m falls freely is -9.8*g. The minimum friction co-efficient required between M and ground so that it does not move while block m slips down on it is 0.02.
dharavsolanki

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=21929&stc=1&d=1258651420.jpg

A block of mass m lies on a wedge of mass M as shown in figure. Answer the following parts separately.

(a) - With what minimum acceleration must the wedge be moved towards right horizontally so that the block m falls freely?
(b) - Find the minimum friction co-efficient required between M and ground so that it does not move while block m slips down on it.

Variables - Mu(ground), a_m and a_M

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Not able to start anything anywhere.

For (a)
- - - - -
I can't make equations out of the situation, but I am getting a weird feeling it is the same thing as a satellite. It keeps on falling towards the earth, only that the Earth keeps on receding. The only difference being that the falling object not reaching the ground was "Earth's curvature" in one case and "Slope of wedge" in the other. Not sure how to translate this idea into equations.

For (b)
- - - - -
I have attempted it, but it gets too complicated, the normal reaction between the two wedges changes the normal reaction between the surfaces and such. How should I carry on with this?

Attachments

• Question - two blocks - no static.jpg
    Question - two blocks - no static.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 972
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if this will help you. I have attached a picture. Block m acts on the wedge with force mgcosΘ. So, when the wedge starts moving to the right with acceleration a, you have got two forces acting in horizontal direction:
mgcosΘsinΘ=(m+M)a.

When you have got the friction:
mgcosΘsinΘ=(m+M)μ

Attachments

• Question - two blocks - no static.jpg
    Question - two blocks - no static.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 671
method_man said:
I don't know if this will help you. I have attached a picture. Block m acts on the wedge with force mgcosΘ. So, when the wedge starts moving to the right with acceleration a, you have got two forces acting in horizontal direction:
mgcosΘsinΘ=(m+M)a.

When you have got the friction:
mgcosΘsinΘ=(m+M)μ

Why have you taken (m + M) as the system both the times? Both of them are independent blocks and their motions have no relations. Plus, since the two blocks are accelerated, the normal reaction between the two blocks would be zero. Hence, between the ground and the inclined plane, the normal reaction is not (m + M)g.

The points that confuse me are these.

Can you please post the equations from where I can start?

Forces acting on the block are
mgsinθ------- along the inclined plane
mgcosθ--------perpendicular to the inclined plane, and
N -----normal reaction due to the wedge.
Wedge is moving towards right. When it moves through a distance x, to keep in touch with wedge, block moves through a distance y in the direction perpendicular to the wedge.
And y = x*sinθ. Οr ay = a*sinθ where a is the acceleration of the wedge.
For the block
m*ay = mg*cosθ - Ν. For the free fall of the block, N should be equal to zero.
Now put the value of ay in the above equation to find the acceleration.
Similarly find the forces acting on the wedge and find the acceleration when the block is slipping. Calculate the frictional force which can prevent this motion.

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting on it. These laws were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and are considered fundamental principles in the study of mechanics.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How do Newton's Laws apply to two wedges sliding over each other?

In this scenario, the first law of motion applies as the wedges will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity unless an external force, such as friction, is present. The second law of motion also applies as the force of gravity pulling the wedges downward is countered by the force of friction between the two surfaces, resulting in a net force and causing the wedges to accelerate or decelerate.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of the two wedges, as one wedge slides over the other, the force of friction between them will be equal and opposite, causing the wedges to move in opposite directions.

5. How can Newton's Laws of Motion be applied in real life?

Newton's Laws of Motion are applicable in many real-life situations, such as driving a car, riding a bike, or playing sports. Understanding these laws can help us predict and explain the motion of objects and make informed decisions, such as adjusting our speed while driving to avoid accidents or optimizing our movements in sports to achieve maximum performance.