Tips for Healing a Swollen Sprained Ankle: Expert Advice and Timeline

• Medical
  • Thread starter Deshy
  • Start date
In summary, a person is seeking advice for a sprained ankle that has not healed after six days. They are experiencing pain and swelling and have been taking painkillers. They are wondering if this is normal and why it takes so long for a sprain to heal. The conversation suggests consulting a doctor for further advice and possible imaging to rule out any underlying issues.
Deshy
Hello everyone,

Recently I fell and have a sprained ankle now. No bone fractures but I was asked not to put weight on my ankle and keep ice etc. I did exactly that and 6 days have passed now but the swelling hasn't gone down. I cannot walk without feeling a pain in my foot either. I always have to take some pain killers to sleep

My question is

1) Is this normal even after 6 days?
2) Why does it take so long for a simple ankle sprain to heal (cry)

Please give me your advice thanks loads

Biology news on Phys.org
We are not allowed to dispense medical advice here, but I can tell you from experience that sprains can be very slow to heal. You should consult your doctor to see if (s)he considers your lack of progress troubling and might wish to order some imaging, etc.

I second the recommendation to consult your doctor. I've had sprains that remained very painful for well over a week, but not the swelling.

If it bothers you much, consult with your doctor. Bandaging the foot to support it might help, but you really need to get professional advice. Were there X-rays made to confirm that there were no breaks? I once was told I sprained my foot, but when X-rays were taken two months later it turned out that it had been broken.

1. What is a swollen sprained ankle?

A swollen sprained ankle occurs when the ligaments in the ankle are stretched or torn, causing pain, swelling, and difficulty moving the joint.

2. How do I know if my ankle is sprained or just swollen?

If your ankle is sprained, you will likely experience pain, swelling, bruising, and difficulty bearing weight on the affected ankle. It is important to seek medical attention to determine the severity of the injury.

3. What causes a swollen sprained ankle?

A swollen sprained ankle is typically caused by an injury or trauma to the ankle, such as twisting or rolling the ankle, landing on it wrong, or participating in high-impact activities.

4. How long does it take for a swollen sprained ankle to heal?

The healing time for a swollen sprained ankle can vary depending on the severity of the injury. Mild sprains may heal in a few days to a week, while more severe sprains can take several weeks or even months to fully heal.

5. What is the best way to treat a swollen sprained ankle?

The best way to treat a swollen sprained ankle is to follow the RICE method: Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. It is also important to avoid putting weight on the injured ankle and to seek medical attention if the pain and swelling persist.