What role does torsion'' play in string theory?

In summary, the concept of torsion plays a role in string theory, even though it is not considered in general relativity. In Einstein-Cartan theory, which differs from GR, torsion is taken into account and can affect the behavior of fermionic superstrings. However, in the vacuum, torsion is non-propagating and cannot be detected experimentally. There is also a concept of "discrete torsion" in string theory, which is related to the torsion in Einstein-Cartan theory. While GR does not use torsion, string theory can produce SUGRA, and there is no reason to restrict it to a torsion-free framework.
arroy_0205
What role does "torsion'' play in string theory?

In general relativity we assume that connection is torsion free. However from a purely geometrical viewpoint, the concept of torsion can not be ignored (theoretically) and in string theory, it is said that "torsion" does play its role. Can anybody tell what consequences arise if torsion is taken into account?

Physics news on Phys.org

arroy_0205 said:
In general relativity we assume that connection is torsion free. However from a purely geometrical viewpoint, the concept of torsion can not be ignored (theoretically) and in string theory, it is said that "torsion" does play its role. Can anybody tell what consequences arise if torsion is taken into account?

I believe that even in gravity coupled to spinors torsion should be taken into account. That is gravity should have two sources the energy-momentum tensor and the the spinor tensor. I guess that the same would be true of string theory. So fermionic superstrings should have a non-zero spinor tensor?! That would be my guess.

For me the Einstein-Cartan theory with non-vanishing torsion based on Riemann-Cartan manifolds is much more natural than the pure GR framework with its restriction to torsion-free geometries. This becomes clear if one considers gauge aspects of gravity and fermion coupling.

Einstein-Cartan theory differs from GR, but the difference is not visible experimentally since torsion is non-propagation and therefore should vanish in the vacuum. It cannot be detected.

I guess this carries over to SUGRA. I do not know about the situation in ST, but I guess it's rather similar. I would expect 10d torsion to play a role as well.

I have seen something called "discrete torsion" in ST which comes up as a result of some arbitrariness in writing the partition function on orbifolds. This is how it was originally explained by Vafa. Later, it has acquired a geometrical explanation which I am not very sure about (ref: hep-th/9909108, hep-th/9909120). Can someone tell me if and how they are related to the torsion in Einstein-Cartan theory?

I am not expert of GR, but I think that GR does not use torsion, and string theory produces the equations of GR, so torsion is still out of the play, is it?

That's correct tomy knowledge. But string theory produces SUGRA as well, and there is no reason why one should restrict to a torsion-free SUGRA.

Question 1:

What is torsion in the context of string theory?

Torsion in string theory refers to the twisting of space-time caused by the presence of a massive object. In other words, it is the curvature of space-time around a massive object, such as a black hole.

Question 2:

How does torsion affect the behavior of strings?

Torsion affects the behavior of strings by causing them to follow curved paths in space-time. This is due to the fact that the strings are interacting with the curved space-time created by the massive object.

Question 3:

What role does torsion play in the unification of gravity and quantum mechanics?

In string theory, torsion is a crucial component in the attempts to unify gravity and quantum mechanics. It is believed that by incorporating torsion into the equations of string theory, it may help to resolve some of the inconsistencies between the two theories.

Question 4:

Can torsion be observed in experiments?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence for torsion in string theory. However, some scientists are working on ways to detect torsion through experiments that involve measuring gravitational waves.

Question 5:

How does torsion relate to other concepts in string theory, such as branes and extra dimensions?

Torsion is closely related to other concepts in string theory, such as branes and extra dimensions. In fact, some string theorists propose that torsion may play a role in the creation and behavior of branes in higher dimensional space. Additionally, torsion may also affect the dynamics of extra dimensions in string theory.