Are Multiple Current Loops Linear?

In summary, the conversation discusses the addition of magnetic fields from multiple current loops and the potential influence of coupling between the loops. The law of Biot and Savart may not apply in this case and instead, coupled differential equations would need to be used to solve the problem.
wofsy
I assume that if one has several current loops that the magnetic fields that they generate just add together linearlly. Just want to make sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yup...that is how it looks to be (at least classically).

to first order they do, but I think the interaction between the current loops and other magnetic fields would induce emfs which would change the magnetic fields produced, and would further induce emfs, etc.

I suppose, if you assumed no coupling, the fields would just add linearly.

Matterwave said:
to first order they do, but I think the interaction between the current loops and other magnetic fields would induce emfs which would change the magnetic fields produced, and would further induce emfs, etc.

I suppose, if you assumed no coupling, the fields would just add linearly.

Interesting. How would you solve this problem with coupling? The law of Biot and Savart would not work. I guess you would hold the currents in the loops constant.

Last edited:
For example, for 2 loops:

[tex]emf_1=\epsilon_1-\frac{d\Phi_{21}}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]emf_2=\epsilon_2-\frac{d\Phi_{12}}{dt}[/tex]

Where [tex]\Phi_{12}[/tex] that's the flux on 2 due to 1 and vice versa. It's a coupled differential equation. If you had 3 loops, you'd just have more terms and more equations. Don't quote me on this, it's been a while since I've done this stuff :P.

1. What is the definition of linearity in regards to multiple current loops?

Linearity in this context refers to the relationship between the input and output of a system. In the case of multiple current loops, linearity means that the output current is directly proportional to the input current.

2. How can I determine if multiple current loops are linear?

The linearity of multiple current loops can be determined by plotting the input and output currents on a graph and checking if the resulting curve is a straight line. If the curve is a straight line, then the multiple current loops are considered linear.

3. What factors can affect the linearity of multiple current loops?

There are several factors that can affect the linearity of multiple current loops, such as the materials used, the shape and size of the loops, and the strength of the magnetic field. Any changes in these factors can cause the output current to deviate from being directly proportional to the input current, resulting in non-linearity.

4. Why is linearity important in multiple current loops?

Linearity is important in multiple current loops because it allows for accurate and predictable control of the magnetic field. This is essential in many scientific and technological applications, such as in electromagnets and electric motors.

5. What are some real-world examples of multiple current loops that exhibit linearity?

Some examples of multiple current loops that exhibit linearity include solenoids, which are used in doorbells and MRI machines, and Helmholtz coils, which are used in physics experiments to produce a uniform magnetic field. These systems are designed to have a linear relationship between the input and output currents for precise control.