Is This a Standard Formulation of a Gaussian Beam?

In summary: Gaussian beams, provides the following explanation of the difference in form between the two expressions: The first form is a result of symmetry considerations. The second form is more convenient for dealing with certain properties of the Gaussian beam such as its intensity being inversely proportional to its waist.
KFC
In the book "Fundamentals of Photonics", the form of the Gaussian beam is written as
[tex]I(\rho,z) = I_0 \left(\frac{W_0}{W(z)}\right)^2\exp\left[-\frac{2\rho^2}{W^2(z)}\right][/tex]
where [tex]\rho = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]

However, in some books (I forgot which one), the author use the following form
[tex]I(R) = I_0 \exp\left[-\frac{R^2W_0^2}{W^2}\right][/tex]
where
[tex]R = \rho/W_0, \qquad \rho=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

In the second expression, I don't know why there is no [tex]\left(W_0/W(z)\right)^2[/tex] in the amplitude and why he want to define R instead of using [tex]\rho[/tex] directly? And what about [tex]W_0[/tex] and [tex]W[/tex] in the second expression? Are they have some meaning as in the first one?

I forgot which book using such form, if you know any information, could you please tell me the title and author of the book? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Off hand (I'll admit I know nothing about the physics involved) it looks like the two expressions are equivalent, except for the 2 in the numerator of the first expression. W and W0 look like they are the same in both. The coeficient of both is I0. In one case the argument seems to be expressed, while the other may be implicit - again I don't know what any of this is supposed to be physically.

mathman said:
Off hand (I'll admit I know nothing about the physics involved) it looks like the two expressions are equivalent, except for the 2 in the numerator of the first expression. W and W0 look like they are the same in both. The coeficient of both is I0. In one case the argument seems to be expressed, while the other may be implicit - again I don't know what any of this is supposed to be physically.

Thanks. I am thinking one aspect on physics. Since the energy is conserved (the total energy of the input beam should be conserved after transported to some distance), so if the intensity is not inverse proportional to the waist, how to make the energy conserved? Please show me if I am wrong :)

I would first write the cross section of the beam traveling in the z direction in cartesian coordinates:

I(z) = I0 exp[-x2/2σx(z)2] exp[-y2/2σy(z)2]

where σx(z) and σy(z) are the rms widths of the Gaussian beam in the x and y directions at z.

This may be rewritten as

I(z) = I0 exp[-x2/2σx(z)2-y2/2σy(z)2]

and finally as

I(z) = I0 exp[-ρ2/2σ(z)2]

if σx(z) = σy(z), where ρ2 = x2 + y2.

Bob S

What is a Gaussian beam?

A Gaussian beam is a type of laser beam that has a Gaussian intensity profile, meaning that the intensity of the beam decreases gradually from the center to the edges.

How is a Gaussian beam different from other types of laser beams?

A Gaussian beam has a specific intensity profile, while other types of laser beams may have different profiles such as uniform or flat-top.

What are the characteristics of a Gaussian beam?

The characteristics of a Gaussian beam include a bell-shaped intensity profile, a single peak intensity, and a diameter that increases as the beam propagates.

How is the intensity of a Gaussian beam calculated?

The intensity of a Gaussian beam can be calculated using the Gaussian beam equation, which takes into account factors such as the beam waist, wavelength, and distance from the beam waist.

What are the applications of Gaussian beams?

Gaussian beams have a wide range of applications, including laser cutting, laser welding, laser microscopy, and laser spectroscopy. They are also used in laser pointers, barcode scanners, and laser printers.